Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cannot Rename files in P2 Contents Management Software & Suggested workflow.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot Rename files in P2 Contents Management Software & Suggested workflow.

When right-clicking on a highlighted clip "Rename" is always grayed out on every single one of my clips as it is from the Edit menu. How can I rename the files? Nothing is mentioned in the operating instructions.

What is the recommended workflow from P2 management software to FCP?

Thanks

I don't use P2 Management software. I ingest my P2 stuff using the Log & Transfer window. What/were is the "rename" function you're talking about?
    Digital Media Instructor for
    Louisiana State University & Delgado College

Comment

Rename the clips once you have them ingested- renaming the originals is not recommended as it can break media management.

Noah
      GH2, GoPro HD, AC160, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D training at www.CallBoxLive.com
      40% discount for 2-poppers! Use code 2pop2012 on these titles.

Comment

@Ben. I used P2 management software to dump the media in the field and renaming the clips before doing a log and transfer seems to be a recommended workflow.

@Noah. They have already been ingested. "Rename" is grayed out for every single clip.

Comment

In the FCP bin? I doubt that.

Noah
          GH2, GoPro HD, AC160, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D training at www.CallBoxLive.com
          40% discount for 2-poppers! Use code 2pop2012 on these titles.

Comment

Um, what version of FCP are you on?
            Digital Media Instructor for
            Louisiana State University & Delgado College

Comment

FCP6 but how is that relevant? No, not the FCP Bin.

I am talking about renaming the files with scene specific names in P2 Management software NOT FCP. I don't even have FCP on the laptop I am dumping the footage into in the field so it would be helpful to have the ability to rename the files in P2MS prior to getting the footage into FCP on my workstation but the stupid Rename option is grayed out and I don't even have the opportunity to do so.

Comment

I'm surprised the option is even there if it's just going to be grayed out. Since I couldn't rename in P2 MS I just imported onto an external HD and then brought it into FCP through Log and Transfer and renamed before importing.

Comment

Hi Guys.
                  If you want to rename P2 Clips, you have to rename all related Clips and the <Clipname> (<Top>, <Previous> and <Next>) in CLIPNAME.XML in Clip-Folder. That means you have to rename 4 audio files by adding the suffix 00,01,02 and 03 in the end before typing the file extention (*.mxf), you have to rename the same named file in ICON-, CLIP-, PROXY-, VIDEO- and VOICE-folder. But the most important thing is to change the Metadata between <ClipName> and </ClipName>(<Top> and </Top>, <Previous> and </Previous> AND <Next> and </Next>) in XML-File. Here you have to enter you new (Top-, Previous-, or Next-)Clipname(s) without file extention. That's it!!

TISH IS A NOTE ESPECIALLY FOR AVID USERS;
                  If yout want to rename clips, make sure, that all names have exactly SIX digits like the original Clips!!! Do your rename exaxtly like above this lines!

FOR PREMIERE CS4 or HIGHER:
                  Remane your clips like in the descrition above and is doesn't plays a role if the clip is not equal to 6 digits.
                  Last edited by schocke86; 12-10-2010, 06:49 PM.

Comment

Renaming avchd clips

Originally posted by NoahKadner View Post
                    Rename the clips once you have them ingested- renaming the originals is not recommended as it can break media management.

Noah
                    Hi Noah, I'm new to working with avchd clips in FCP Studio 2. I transcoded the avchd files into ProRes clips. If I rename these ProRes clips in the browser, will the clips reconnect to the original file when I go to the online? I'm concerned about messing up the directory in the end (if that's even an issue). Should I right-click to rename the clip in the capture scratch folder too or just the clip in the browser?

I've read alot about ingesting avchd but haven't been able to find alot of reading re delivering an avchd project. I want to make sure I'm doing everything in editing to ensure a smooth online. Thanks so much!

JD
                    Last edited by JuanDoe; 12-28-2010, 08:24 AM. Reason: forgot a question
                    Sonia Gonzalez-Martinez
                    Editor
                    www.lasonestudios.com

Comment

Footer

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X