Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please don't tell me I must have this cable to install driver!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please don't tell me I must have this cable to install driver!

Hi all,

I have to transfer around 90 GB of video I took with an HTX170, from 2 P2 Cards onto an external hard drive. Ultimately, the hard drive will be hooked up to a Mac (FCP).

I connected the camera to the Laptop (HP Pavillon /Vista), with a 1394 cable.
    I dragged a single video file from one of the cards onto the ext. hard drive, and it took an enormous time to do it. Is it taking that long because of the cable? Do I need to install a driver onto my PC?

The reason I'm asking if I need a driver, it's because when I tried to install the P2 driver, it asked me to connect the HPX170 to the PC WITH A USB AND 8 PIN CABLE, which I cannot find anywhere in Vancouver!!!

I just hope there is another way to install the driver. Do you know why I need to plug the camera onto the Pc with that cable? Is it the same for all panasonic camcorders?

BW, the camera owner has a memory card adapter but it doesn't fit into my HP Pc. What computers have the right slots?

Your help is much appreciated!

OK, problem one, if you just drag "video files", you'll be screwed. You need to copy the full contents of the card, folder hierarchy in tact: CONTENTS folder, plus LASTCLIP.TXT file, into a folder of their own on the hard drive.

Making a disk image is the safest way to do this.

It's probably asking for cables as you've downloaded the file to update the firmware on the HPX-170, not to install drives for the PC's operating system. Installing the OS drivers have nothing to do with the camera itself.
    Last edited by BenB; 09-17-2010, 06:48 PM.
    Digital Media Instructor for
    Louisiana State University & Delgado College

Comment

Ben

Thank you for the reply.

is this the right link then?

https://eww.pavc.panasonic.co.jp/pro...pcdriver_e.htm

I downloaded the 32 bit version.

During installation, a window appears with a long list of different devices and cameras. I checked the HVX170 driver. I guess perhaps that's the driver asking me to connect with the camera? If I don't check anything, is it going to install the P2 driver anyway?

thanks a million

Comment

As a follow up: I am transfering from P2 cards in camera, onto my external drive via my laptop at the rate of 3.5 kb/sec , does that indicate some malfunctionning, or simply that I have a slow system?

If I found an external drive that I could directly connect with my camera via the 1394 cable, would that speed up the transfer? Or what can I do ?

Comment

I've never messed with P2 on Windows. Seems the Windows driver install is a bit different from the Mac driver install.

As for transfer times, if it's transferring, it's transferring. Speed will depend on your system, and how much data you have to copy over.

Comment

I think I will buy myself an external drive that has a firewire connector, and transfer directly from the camera to the hard drive, and then hook up that hard drive onto my mac at home (which, unfortunately, I could not bring on my trip).

Has anyone done that? How did it go?

Comment

That Firewire drive must be a powered drive.

I avoid connecting any powered drives to my HPX170.

For $350.00, Panasonic offers a single card USB2 reader.
              David
              2-pop Guide

A New Blog About Video
              secondchairvideo
              http://www.secondchairvideo.com/

Comment

Originally posted by David View Post
                That Firewire drive must be a powered drive.

I avoid connecting any powered drives to my HPX170.

For $350.00, Panasonic offers a single card USB2 reader.
                Well, I am filming on a trip, and I can't afford one for now. Here's what the op. manual says about using an ext. drive:
                • Before proceeding to connect or disconnect 1394 cable, be absolutely sure to turn off the power of the units. Before proceeding to connect the unit which uses a 6-pin type 1394 connector, carefully check the shape of the 1394 cable and the connectors on the 1394 cable. Connecting a connector upside down may damage the parts inside the unit and cause malfunctioning. The above also applies to USB cable as well. When connecting to a device having 4-pin type 1394 connector, first

I also have a Duel card connector, it s too bad I can't connect it to my HP!
                Last edited by Cartouche; 09-18-2010, 10:46 AM.

Comment

Lesson learned once again, set up and thoroughly test your workflow before going out into the field. Let us know what you end up with to solve this dilemma.

Comment

Footer

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X