Need Hard drive suggestions!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Hard drive suggestions!

I was just wondering if anyone could make a suggestion or two about a good hard drive to get. I am running a Mac G5 dual 2.7 with 3GB SDRAM. I currently have the standard 250 GB hard drive but I Need more space, like 500GB or 750GB. I need this for Final Cut Pro. probably be used mainly as the scratch disk. If you can recommend any good hard drives that are fast and reliable it would be greatly appreciated. Also let me know what your preference is between internal and external. I dont know much about computer jargon so any help is appreciated.

Do not use firewire drives. So, you could always replace your internal media drive with a 500 gb Hitachi. Or, buy a SATA card + external enclosure and add one or more SATA drives. You could then raid those SATA drives. If you are just editing DV, a RAID is overkill. But beyond DV, you would need a raid anyway.

Ned Soltz
    2-pop Guide

Comment

yeah its just for editing dv.

Comment

Then just either replace your internal drive with a larger drive or buy a SATA card, and an external SATA enclosure with a Hitach or Segate mechanism.

Ned

Comment

Sata card with hard drives!

Hello Ned I'm contemplating editing a project that will be shot on the HVX200. My question is will a Sata card with 3 drives in an enclosure raided together give me enough throughput to handle DVCPRO HD 72024p coming from the HVX200? If not what would you suggest? Also a 8 gig card transferred to the computer will create a file what size? Thanks.

DR

Comment

You can even edit DVCPRO HD 720/24p on a single internal SATA drive. Using a card and giving you 3-drive raid would give you a number of layers of real time. I have an 8-drive SATA raid and can get something like 7 or more layers of RT. So, that should be more than adequate. I am even editing HVX footage on a G4 Powerbook with a FW800 drive. Certainly not the optimal situation, but it works.

Ned

Comment

I've captured 720/24p directly to the internal drive of a PB 1.67.

Not recommended.

As Ned says, 720/24p is easily handled by a single SATA drive.
              David
              2-pop Guide

A New Blog About Video
              secondchairvideo
              http://www.secondchairvideo.com/

Comment

8 Gig P2 Card

So I'm wondering shooting in 72024p - How much hard drive space is required when you offload a 8 gig P2 card? Thanks.

DR

Comment

P2 cards: 24pNative = 2.5 gig per minute (20 min per 8 gig P2 card)
                  All other HD formats (whether 720p or even 1080 variants) = 1 gig per minute. DV50= 2 gb per minute
                  Of course, if you are using a Firestore or recording directly out of firewire, you can't use native mode. HVX does not stream native out of firewire. Thus, your 100 gb FS-100 would give you 100 minutes of whatever flavor of HD.
                  Contrast this with the Cineporter, when available. That is a P2 device which will be in 160 and 320 gb configurations. 160 gb will hold 400 minutes of 24pNative, which it can do because it is a P2 device and not firewire.

I love this camera. There are lots of tricks to learn about getting the most out of it. You will need to watch out for noise in blacks at low light levels, and particularly shooting the F6 scene file. Barry Green's forthcoming book should teach all of us how to use it best.

Ned

Comment

I need 2k

I'm doing a 2k project, I have a fullly populated 4.5T XRaid on 2gb fiber. I don't think that's going to work. What are my other options?
                    Thanks in advanced.

Comment

Footer

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X