Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new Lacie d2 Quadra HD

Hey folks,

I am using a fw 800 card with my G4 on a LaCie 500 GB Bigdisk and am ready for more drive space, but would like to have a drive that works faster when I upgrade to a G5-intel machine.

What do you think of the new Lacie d2 Quadra HD?
    http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10869

Does anyone know if the esata on this disk is version two; that is, faster than fw 800?

And is this a fair deal at $300? Or would you recommend another brand?

Thanks.

Mark
    FCS2 (FCP 6, DVDSP4, QT 10), Macpro 2.66 quad, Intel, 2007 build, 7Gb ram, OS 10.6

Personally, I've been shying away form LaCie's larger drives..the ones over 300 GB.

An informal, unscientific poll on another forum revealed to me that the folks who were having troubles with LaCie drives were largely the ones using drives that were larger than 300 GB. There were far fewer complaints about the smaller drives.

I'd look into getting an enclosure and putting in your own drive(s). Wiebetech, Sonnet and others offer pretty good prices on enclosures. Places like zipzoomfly.com offer good rates on bare drives. Even if your only a little bit handy, putting them together is pretty easy.

debe

Comment

Thanks, debe. What specifications must I have in order to get esata2 speed when I build such a drive?
      Mark
      FCS2 (FCP 6, DVDSP4, QT 10), Macpro 2.66 quad, Intel, 2007 build, 7Gb ram, OS 10.6

Comment

Footer

Collapse
      Working...
      X