Sony HVRM10U and JVC tape???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sony HVRM10U and JVC tape???

Has anyone heard of the Sony HVRM10U not liking JVC HDV tape? I'm about to shoot for the first time with the JVC GYHD250U, recording onto JVC M-DV63PROHD tape. The last time I digitized with the Sony deck was with Sony HDV tape, and it worked fine. However, I've heard that that deck doesn't like JVC tape for some reason. Does anyone know if that is true? Can anyone recommend a deck for digitizing JVC tape?

Thanks so much.

LC

It's not that the Sony won't like the JVC tape, it's that JVC's flavor of HDV is different than Sony's. With HDV, you have to stick to one manufacturer for recording and playback. There is no agreed-upon standard with HDV between manufacturers.

debe

Comment

Thanks. That makes sense. (Well not really, but I understand.) I have a call in to the engineer at my rental house to find out what deck I need. I assume that it's a JVC.

Comment

Yep. You'll need a JVC deck, or the camera they shot with, if it comes with firewire (it should, but I wouldn't want to assume).

You're right, it doesn't make sense. Digital Betacam is Digital Betacam, Beta SP is Beta SP, DVCam is DVCam, heck, even VHS is VHS. All manufacturers have to adhere to strict guidelines as to what those formats are, and what it takes to record and play them back. I don't quite know how HDV can have as many flavors as there are manufacturers and they all get to call it "HDV".

debe

Comment

Footer

Collapse
        Working...
        X