Sony HVR-1500 HDV deck warning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sony HVR-1500 HDV deck warning

We just took delivery of a Sony HVR-1500 HDV deck and find that the only options for SD downconverting are edge crop and anamorphic squeeze--no letterbox option.

Their desktop HDV deck (M15U I think) does letterbox and of course the HDCAM decks will do letterbox downconverting so we're really stymied as to why Sony would decide to remove this option on their top end HDV deck. I could sort of understand if they were trying to force a purchase of a higher end HDV deck for that feature, but there isn't one!

Aside from this missing function it looks like a great deck with SDI in/out, RS422 control, Firewire and others, but the lack of letterboxing downconvert is a real workflow killer for us when working in SD.

Hopefully Sony will hear from potential buyers that this is an important capability and a firmware update will enable the functionality.

Just thought I'd pass this info along to help others with their purchasing decisions.

-Terry

Hi Terry-
    Just an FYI, you can combine an HD-Connect MI ($595) and a Sony M25U deck ($3,000) and get exactly the same HD/SD-SDI output as the HVR-1500. This combination will also give you RS-422 deck control and you can get edge-crop, anamorphic or letterbox output. You don't get SDI-In (the HVR-1500 will accept standard-def SDI, but not High-Def SDI) and ref-in, but if you main objective is ingest of HDV and DV into an HD-SDI or SD-SDI NLE, you get the same exact bit stream for about half the cost.

Mike Schell
    Convergent Design

Comment

Footer

Collapse
    Working...
    X