Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Formatting a new drive: Yes Extended; No Journaled?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Formatting a new drive: Yes Extended; No Journaled?

My understanding is that when we format a new drive for "media only" we choose Extended, but not journaled. Is that correct?

If so, do we not journal on "media only" drives because it adds unnecessary information, which is only useful for drives that have applications on them (to track the various application additions/subtractions/updates)?

If that is correct -- then what is the purpose of "Extended"?

I read this 3 times and swear you are answering your own question.

Yes, you format extended because journaling is reserved for boot drives. It makes attempts to keep track of what's going on in case you have a power failure and attempts to recover unsaved files.

You don't need that on data drives it just introduces the possibility of stuff slowing down and in the case of video potentially dropping frames. That is the purpose of Extended; NOT to be Journaling.
    sigpic
    Eric Peterson (AKA, "Zwick")
    Person in charge
    Content creation/Education
    http://www.ericnp.net

Comment

Zwick, thanks -- the missing piece that you supplied is that JOURNALING is for BOOT DRIVES. And just for the record, I learned yesterday from Mac Tech Support that BOOT DRIVES must be formatted with the GUID partition scheme. That is an issue, if you want to create a BACK-UP BOOT DRIVE. (I include that, not to presume to instruct you, but in case some future reader follows the thread)

Zwick, did you happen to know what EXTENDED refers too, or what the purpose of it is?

Comment

Originally posted by bbotula View Post
        I learned yesterday from Mac Tech Support that BOOT DRIVES must be formatted with the GUID partition scheme.

Zwick, did you happen to know what EXTENDED refers too, or what the purpose of it is?
        GUID, Intel Macs.

Extended as opposed to Standard. Or is it as in mogate, extend, shabo?(see mog)

Damnit bbotula! I'm an artist, not File System Design Engineer!
        sigpic
        Eric Peterson (AKA, "Zwick")
        Person in charge
        Content creation/Education
        http://www.ericnp.net

Comment

I have no idea what mogate,extend, shabo means -- sounds like some very difficult yoga moves. As for you being an artist, I wouldn't wish that on anyone. Kidding aside, thanks for the help.

Comment

Footer

Collapse
          Working...
          X