Playback problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playback problems

I shot some DV footage on miniDV tape several years ago on a consumer camera that I no longer have. I tried playing it back in both my current cameras and I get problems with the playback - it looks like drop-out and "quilting" every few seconds. My theory (tho of course I can't be sure) is that the footage is actually OK and the problem I am having is due to the fact that I am trying to play back in a camera that is different from the one that I shot it in. It looks like exactly the same types of anomalies that have happened in the past that were cured by playing it back in the camera that shot it. But in this case, I can't since I don't have that camera and it was an obscure enough model, so that I won't be able to get ahold of a similar one.

Do DV decks do a better job than cameras? Do they tend to have less of that problem (anomalies caused by the fact that you are playing back in a different unit than the one that shot it)? Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Without seeing it it's pretty hard to guess. Even if we saw it, it'd would be hard to guess.

It's going to take some trial-and-error. I'd try a camcorder model that's at least the same brand as the original if you can find one.

Otherwise, you could see if a local facility has a professional DVCam deck, like the DSR-2000, and see if that can can stabilize the signal. They probably won't charge you if they can't get a clean copy.

Was it by any chance shot in LP mode?

debe

Comment

Originally posted by debe View Post
      Was it by any chance shot in LP mode?
      As a matter of fact - yes it was shot it LP mode. There doesn't seem to be a speed problem - the footage is playing back at the correct rate - it's just getting alot of visual and audio artifacts. Why did you ask? Are there some issues with LP mode that I should be aware of?

Comment

The issue with LP isn't speed per se, but rather how the tape travels past the heads upon recording and playback.

Since it moves more slowly, there a greater chance of it weaving on the drum. You have a better chance of it lining up with the heads on the camera that recorded it. It's one of the reasons why we don't recommend that one ever use LP mode.

The tape is physically moving more slowly, but the recorded signal should show no signs of speed differences from LP to SP mode.

You might have a tough time getting it to play back on any other device.

debe
        Last edited by debe; 02-19-2008, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I will certainly heed it in the future. As it turns out I was able to play back the footage last night on a friend's comcorder. His was a consumer sony camera. The original camera that shot the stuff was a consumer canon cam. So it wouldn't play back on my Prosumer level canons, but it did play on my friends consumer sony. So perhaps the "level" of the camera is more important than the brand (?). In any event, thanks, and at least there was a happy ending to the story.

Comment

Hmm.

That's an unusual report. If there is success with LP mode in a different camera than the one that shot it, it's usually the same brand of camera, but the next model or two released that will play it back. A different brand is not a usual solution to the problem. But again, every problem is slightly different.

It never occurred to me that you'd try a prosumer-level camera of the same brand. Sorry. I should have thought of that. That would not have been a likely fix. Those are even more picky than the consumer models.

Thanks for the report back. Hopefully you'll give the next guy or gal a little hope!

debe
            Last edited by debe; 02-20-2008, 09:41 AM.

Comment

Footer

Collapse
            Working...
            X