Wich Better? 20' iMac or G5 Dual 2Ghz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wich Better? 20' iMac or G5 Dual 2Ghz

I want your opinion about where you think FCP, Motion, Affter Effects run better,

Imac 20' Intel, 2Ghz intel core 2 duo
    4gb Ram,
    ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT 128 MB
    HD 250Gb
    Super Drive

or

Dual 2ghz Power Pc G5,
    3Gb Ram?
    ATI Radeon 9600, 128Mb (Ati Radeon 9600 pro, 256Mb)
    HD 160Gb
    Super Drive

Is so clear for me the expansion posibilities for the G5, and no problem with the HD capacity (I have a firewire external drives), my question is in your experience wich one run well or most well the high applications like FCP, After effects, Motion.
    Cesar Guillen
    Audio Designer
    [email protected]
    www.realsoundmx.com

Being the proud owner of a dual 2.0 GHz G5 I would have to say go with the iMac BUT I would encourage you to taking it up a notch to the 20" 2.4 GHz for the added advantage of the faster processor, the 320 GB system drive (standard) and especially the ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO with 256MB.

That's another $300.

With the Mac Pro starting at $2,299 now it has made things a bit rough for a lot of people and you really need to add the $200 for the NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 512MB. The rest, RAM and extra drives you can shop with some leisure. Personally, I would not go with an iMac or a MacBook Pro and would have to find the cash for the Mac Pro.

How much were you expecting to spent on the G5 anyway?
    sigpic
    Eric Peterson (AKA, "Zwick")
    Person in charge
    Content creation/Education
    http://www.ericnp.net

Comment

Which is better?

Thanks Zwick for you answer and sorry for the delaying answer, I can get
      Dual 2ghz Power Pc G5,
      3Gb Ram?
      ATI Radeon 9600, 128Mb 2 HD 160Gb
      Super Drive
      For $2,000.00
      And considering the card I want buy a ATI Card (
      Ati Radeon 9600 pro, 256Mb) for $250.00

Thanks
      Cesar Guillen
      Audio Designer
      [email protected]
      www.realsoundmx.com

Comment

You know, that is pretty much what I have and if I thought I could get $2,250 for it I'd jump at it and use the money to buy a Mac Pro. Only one problem--I have a conscience.

In other words, that's ridiculous! That's way more than any G5 is worth. The blunt reality of a used computer; it devalues considerably as soon as it comes out of the box.

I know, I've looked and see people are asking insane prices for some used computers but you don't have to be a sucker (un güey). That's who they are looking for.
        sigpic
        Person in charge

Comment

Doubt

Thanks again for your answer, do you speak spanish?? anyway, My real problem is that in mexico the apple store (web) start the Mac Pro on:$3000 more or less, the iMacs is more close like US, here is wher my doubts come!!

Cesar
          --------------------------
          Resumen
          Precio $28,709.57
          Resumen IVA
          $4,306.44
          Subtotal:
          $33,016.01

Especificaciones
          • One 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon (quad-core)
          • 2GB (2 x 1GB)
          • 320GB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s
          • NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 512MB (Two dual-link DVI)
          • One 16x SuperDrive
          • Mighty Mouse de Apple
          • Apple Keyboard (Western English) + Mac OS X
          Cesar Guillen
          Audio Designer
          [email protected]
          www.realsoundmx.com

Comment

Is the imac powerful enough to edit in HDV on FCP5 as fast as a mac pro G5 if they both have the same processor speed and ram? I'm not doing any complicated special effects, mostly basic editing, maybe some color correction, slow motion and animated titles.

On an imac, can you use firewire 400 and 800 at the same time? 400 would be used to capture from a dvcam deck to the imac and playback on a monitor. The firewire 800 is needed to go from an external firewire hard drive to the imac.

Comment

Without tracking down precise specs I would venture to guess that CPU performance on any current model iMac outperforms any model G5 except perhaps the Quad 2.5 GHz.

For Intel you need FCP 5.1.

That said I wouldn't consider anything less than the iMac 20" 2.66 because of the ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO with 256MB. If you are serious you will eventually want to go to FCS 2 and do some work with Motion. You also need 256MB VRAM for Color.

Yes you can capture on the FW400 and to FW800, that's the way you have to do it. You don't want to attempt capture to the system drive. People will say, I do it all the time but don't listen to them. Still, you are sharing the FW bus and this is a big reason for going to a laptop with an SATA Expresscard or a MacPro with multiple drive and external eSATA,, etc. drive options.
              Last edited by Zwick; 08-03-2008, 11:49 PM.
              sigpic
              Person in charge

Comment

I'm using a G4 867 Mhz Dual processor now with FCP 3 and don't have any problems with dropped frames. I'm capturing video onto a Lacie 120 GB external firewire hard drive. Is this what you call sharing a firewire bus or are the 2 Firewire 400 ports separate? I need the imac to edit HDV, btw.
                Last edited by arnold; 08-04-2008, 03:17 AM.

Comment

Footer

Collapse
                Working...
                X