Audio problem with Panasonic AJ-HD1400

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Audio problem with Panasonic AJ-HD1400

We are using the Panasonic AJ-HD1400 to digitize DVCPRO HD 720p30 tapes into Final Cut Pro. There should only be two channels of audio on the tapes, but we are getting 8 audio channels when we digitize.

After some deductive investigation last night, we discovered that audio channels 1-4 and 5-8 are duplicates, so we can eliminate 5-8 when capturing. However, the waveforms are all different on tracks 1-4, and eliminating 3 & 4 results in a loss of information. (For instance, the -12 db tone at the beginning of the tape is at -18 db without tracks 3 & 4.)

Is this adjustable by a setting on the Panasonic AJ-HD1400 deck? We have not been able to decipher the incredibly arcane manual or find any technical support over the weekend. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Appears to me from the manual and this is a cursory look into the thing... you go to the onscreen menus via the Menu button, take the joystick down to 700, Audio and now go reference page 53 for the audio channel settings.

I'm on 4 sips of coffee and am not prepared to take on the manual right now but that seems to be an appropriate direction. If it helps great, if not, I tried.
    sigpic
    Eric Peterson (AKA, "Zwick")
    Person in charge
    Content creation/Education
    http://www.ericnp.net

Comment

Sounds like something with the specific camera it was shot with, also. DVCPRO-HD has natively 4 channels of audio. Check the configuration in the Log & Capture window, make sure you're audio channels are set up correctly.

On some DVCPRO-HD cams, if you have ext mics going to tracks 1 & 2, but no built in inputs for 3 & 4, then sometimes 3 & 4 will pick up tracks 1 & 2, but with much less gain. Wierd, but I've seen it a lot.
      Digital Media Instructor for
      Louisiana State University & Delgado College

Comment

Footer

Collapse
      Working...
      X