Major DVD problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Major DVD problem

I've been dreading this DVD issue for awhile and it's finally here. I'm starting to get phone calls from past clients telling me their DVD's (4-5 years ago) are either skipping or freezing up. They tried playing them in different players with no luck. The DVD was only played a couple of times and there are no scrathes on them. Has anybody been having this problem? The brand I've been using is Ridata.

Thanks,
    Michael

5 years for a DVD-R is pretty old- I wouldn't be surprised if it's from wear and tear than anything. Discs don't just stop working on their own.

Noah
    GH2, GoPro HD, AC160, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D training at www.CallBoxLive.com
    40% discount for 2-poppers! Use code 2pop2012 on these titles.

Comment

I failed to mentioned when I finish a project I also make a master DVD for myself just in case they need copies and those also are having issues.The master I make is only played once,just to make sure it works,and then it sits in a hard case never to be used again unless I need to make a copy. 5 years seems like a very short time to go bad. I think the manufactures lied to us about the longevity of DVD's. I rather of them said we have no idea how long they should last instead of stating 50 years or more.

Thanks,
      Michael

Comment

Wow. I have enough problems just with clients that can't play my dvd's in their DVD players. I hate to think that they don't work down the road. I am going to have to change my number j/k.

Comment

This is a major problem.I have around 100 DVD masters and I'm thinking of checking them all to make sure they play.I hate to make copies of them but I might have to.

Comment

The life of both CDs and DVDs has been lied about from the beginning and there are a lot of factors that can effect the life of a disc. Yes, they can deterorate in a case sitting on a shelf and that may happen to one person much sooner than another depending upon all sorts of environmental conditions. Fact is, this is not your responsibility or obligation to rectify... altough you may want to add a line or two to any contracts you may have for your videography work.

Read this article, I've only skimmed it but it seems to be going in the direction I am going now.
            Last edited by Zwick; 10-21-2008, 02:46 PM.
            sigpic
            Eric Peterson (AKA, "Zwick")
            Person in charge
            Content creation/Education
            http://www.ericnp.net

Comment

Footer

Collapse
            Working...
            X