No announcement yet.

SATA raid problem - hardware or stripe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SATA raid problem - hardware or stripe?

If the stripe became corrupt on the sata raid would that cause the system not to "see" the hardware? That is - (in Disk Utility for example) - not see "hardware" name of the physical drive like "Hitachi ###" above the familiar desktop name of the volume. I could understand the names of the striped volumes not appearing but not seeing the hardware would seem to point to hardware failure and not to a corrupt stripe or data, yes?

BACKGROUND - Mac G5 (dual 2.5 - OS 10.4.9) gave a system msg re. Device Removal error & the icons for my SATA raid disappeared from the desktop. The raid enclosure is much like this...
    http://www.sonnettech.com/product/fusion500p.html

A new port-multiplier raid enclosure mounted the raid volumes (5x Hitachi 500gig) twice out of the box but then stopped working. I'm trying to nail if this is a hardware issue or something else.

Thanks,

Paul

p.s. I'm having Sonnet look at the sata card - Tempo Sata x4p for PCI-X

this is what the console says...

running!!!
    Oct 28 20:47:45 Pauls-G5 kernel[0]: SonnetSATA::mv (ERROR) SStatus 0x00000000:
    Oct 28 20:47:45 Pauls-G5 kernel[0]: SonnetSATA::mv (ERROR) SControl 0x00000300:
    Oct 28 20:47:45 Pauls-G5 kernel[0]: SonnetSATA::mv (ERROR) SError 0x00000000:
    Oct 28 20:47:45 Pauls-G5 kernel[0]: SonnetSATA::mv (ERROR) IF Ctrl 0x00000000: TXPort 0x0
    Oct 28 20:47:45 Pauls-G5 kernel[0]: SonnetSATA::mv (ERROR) IF status 0x00804000: RXFIS 0x0 RXPort 0x0
    Oct 28 20:47:53 Pauls-G5 kernel[0]: SonnetSATA::[email protected] Cable Event Connect
    Oct 28 20:47:58 Pauls-G5 kernel[0]: SonnetSATA::mv (FATAL_ERROR) 36880 0: SaDevInterrupt: No command is running!!!

Sounds fried to me- if it's new return to the store.

Noah
    GH2, GoPro HD, AC160, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D training at www.CallBoxLive.com
    40% discount for 2-poppers! Use code 2pop2012 on these titles.

Comment

After you check out the PCI-X card and get up and running, I'd seriously consider having that RAID unit running through a power conditioner. I wouldn't rule out an issue with the power supply either.
      sigpic
      Eric Peterson (AKA, "Zwick")
      Person in charge
      Content creation/Education
      http://www.ericnp.net

Comment

Thanks for the tips. I have a telemax 2 from panamax on one of the outlets and use Curtis strips with surge suppressors, what else might I use? Honestly not that clear on the diff between power conditioner +Surge Protectors.

Thanks,

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Dougherty View Post
          Thanks for the tips. I have a telemax 2 from panamax on one of the outlets and use Curtis strips with surge suppressors, what else might I use? Honestly not that clear on the diff between power conditioner +Surge Protectors.

Thanks,

Paul
          Depends on a couple of things, how paranoid you are and more importantly how consistent your power is. If you notice fluctuations in power when, say a refrigerator starts up or as in my case an elevator down at the end of the hall, or if you get pops clicks out of appliances etc., you should consider at least a UPS with AVR (automatic voltage regulation) and in addition you may want to consider something like the Belkin PureAV.

Most surge suppressors are junk and surge suppressors due wear over time, give them 2-3 years and after that they are power strips. They use Metal Oxide Varistor (MOV) and in the process of doing what they are supposed to, these wear out. The $99 Panamax is probably pretty decent. The Curtis strips I'd be wary of, some of those are PDC (Pretty Darn Cheap.)
          sigpic
          Eric Peterson (AKA, "Zwick")
          Person in charge
          Content creation/Education
          http://www.ericnp.net

Comment

Footer

Collapse
          Working...
          X