adding an SATA drive...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• adding an SATA drive...

I'm adding another HD to my quad core Mac pro. Who makes apples hardrives? I want to check out better prices...thanks for my reply

Go to the Apple icon in the upper left hand corner of your menu bar.

Select "About This Mac"

In the pop-up window that opens, click the "More Info..." button

In the window that opens, select "Serial-ATA" from the left-hand pane. That will tell you exactly what model SATA drive you have in your machine.

debe

Comment

can I use a diff brand

Is it cool to use a different brand like seagate, Hitachi, baracuda etc., as long as the specs are the same?

Comment

Sure

Noah
        GH2, GoPro HD, AC160, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D training at www.CallBoxLive.com
        40% discount for 2-poppers! Use code 2pop2012 on these titles.

Comment

It's only an issue if you want to RAID two or more drives together. You should have matching drives for that.

Doesn't sound like that's what you want to do, so yeah, Noah's got it!

debe

Comment

just want another hardrive to put my FCP storage on

Just need to dedicate another drive for FCP. I'll be storing 13 half hour shows plus the footage. Thanks, Mac

Comment

one more ?

My mac pro has 640gigs in the hardrive bay one. Does the next one have to be
              640gigs too. Can it be a higher capacity? I sound dumb but i just got into adding my own hardware and don't wan to make a mistake.

Comment

Adding a higher capacity drive is not a problem.
                sigpic
                Eric Peterson (AKA, "Zwick")
                Person in charge
                Content creation/Education
                http://www.ericnp.net

Comment

Any suggestions on what the optimum internal HD config would be for FCP storage on a quad core G5? Brand specific and drive size would be helpful.

thanks
                  PT

Comment

I will ask the Technogeek when I can get his attention. In the meanwhile, I suggest you start your own thread with this question. New questions tacked on to old threads have a tendency to be overlooked....

:-)

debe

Comment

Originally posted by Ptomz View Post
                      Any suggestions on what the optimum internal HD config would be for FCP storage on a quad core G5? Brand specific and drive size would be helpful.

thanks
                      PT
                      What is supported on that is 2 Serial ATA. Otherwise it's a 3rd party mod. I'd suggest a large enough system drive to handle what you have and what you project for as long as you plan to keep using that. Give at least 10% added in for overhead.

For the second bay, I have not had a problem with any Western Digital, Hitachi or Seagate drives for several years. WD has a 2 TB offering and I think everybody offers up to 1.5 TB.
                      Last edited by Zwick; 08-03-2009, 06:20 PM.
                      sigpic
                      Eric Peterson (AKA, "Zwick")
                      Person in charge
                      Content creation/Education
                      http://www.ericnp.net

Comment

Footer

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X