Is new DroboPro a good RAID solution?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is new DroboPro a good RAID solution?

I've heard the negatives surrounding the original drobo that speeds weren't reliable - that it was a good solution for data backup or a server but not editing. I understand all that.

But what about the new DroboPro and the iSCSI port? I would not be hooking this up to a switch or multiple computers. If I simply attach the DroboPro to a single Mac, is this a good RAID solution for editing?

Thanks!
    Seth Stark
    Producer Director
    Detroit and throughout USA

Kind of a toy- not intended nor recommended for heavy editorial usage.

Noah
    GH2, GoPro HD, AC160, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D training at www.CallBoxLive.com
    40% discount for 2-poppers! Use code 2pop2012 on these titles.

Comment

Thanks, that helps me confirm it. I think I will go with the OWC Mercury Rack Pro Hardware RAID. Seems to be a good solution.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/hard-...SATA_USB2_RAID
      Seth Stark
      Producer Director
      Detroit and throughout USA

Comment

Yeah that's definitely better- even moreso a CalDigit or a G-RAID. But anything's better than a DROBO. They are designed for being digital jukeboxes for home audio/video more than anything.

Noah
        GH2, GoPro HD, AC160, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D training at www.CallBoxLive.com
        40% discount for 2-poppers! Use code 2pop2012 on these titles.

Comment

iSCSI, I fight this all the time with the XSAN/FCSvr systems I support. iSCSI uses an Ethernet cable, yes it's fast, but the "sustained" speed for multiple video streams can't be handled over Ethernet, and it has a great deal of Latency, that will end up corrupting your video data once the streams start to break down. Great for file storage and back up, super sucks for video editing.
          Digital Media Instructor for
          Louisiana State University & Delgado College

Comment

Footer

Collapse
          Working...
          X