Moving media to external and internal drives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving media to external and internal drives

I am transitioning over from a PowerMac G4 running 10.3.9 to a MacPro running 10.6.1 (Snow Leopard). I want to to do things: (1) back up media from the G4 (2) move media from the G4 to the MacPro.

I have a question and a problem.

Problem: I have a Lacie 1TB D2 Quadra. I formatted it on the MacPro. When I connect it to the G4, I get a message that there are no files that the G4 can recognize on the external drive. It gives me the options to Initialize, Ignore, or Eject.

Is this happening because the external drive was formatted by a MacPro running 10.6.1, and the computer I plugged it into is a G4 running 10.3.9?
    I hesitate to reformat the 1TB D2 Quadra external drive in 10.3.9, because I don't know if that creates a performance problem, when I want to read that drive from the MacPro in Snow Leopard?

So that is my problem, and the state of my ignorance; and I am looking for a solution and wisdom.

Now my Question: If I take the internal drives out of the G4 and put them into an external housing, will the MacPro read them? Will an "upstream" operating system read the drives from a "downstream" computer/OS?

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Footer

Collapse
Working...
X