Codec for Windows and Premiere

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Codec for Windows and Premiere

I've been a long time FCP user. I've been using Apple ProRes 422 since about '08. I want to expand my skills and learn how to use other NLE's and I was wondering what's the best codec for Premiere? I'm looking for an intermediate like ProRes or DNxHD. Can you edit in DNxHD on Windows and Premiere?

I've seen those videos that show that movies like Avatar and The Social Network were edited on Premiere. What codec did they use?

Learn Avid along with FCP, there's very, very few jobs for Premier Pro out there.
    Digital Media Instructor for
    Louisiana State University & Delgado College

Comment

It's not just about finding jobs. I'm not really having trouble finding jobs with just knowing FCP. I'm an enthusiast too. It's not just about practicality. But again if Premiere is used in the pro world, even marginally, what codec are they working with in Windows?

Comment

The Social Network was edited using Final Cut Pro and the actual creative editing on Avatar was AVID based (Premiere was used for some "proof work".) I know that's not answering your question, just trying to clarify that for the next guy.

Assuming 2K/4K workflows your probably looking at Cineon/DPX, Tiff, openEXR and CineForm formats.
        Last edited by Zwick; 03-19-2011, 10:01 AM.
        sigpic
        Eric Peterson (AKA, "Zwick")
        Person in charge
        Content creation/Education
        http://www.ericnp.net

Comment

Cool thanks for the info. So the actual trimming and building of sequences was done on FCP but judging from this video am I right in understanding that the Social Network use compositing as Premiere's role in the editing process? According to this video, Premiere definately had a role:

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/customer-s...ocial-network/

Comment

Same or similar to Avatar, using Premiere for a AE/Premiere workflow in conforming the film.
            sigpic
            Eric Peterson (AKA, "Zwick")
            Person in charge
            Content creation/Education
            http://www.ericnp.net

Comment

Interesting. Does it really help that much though?

Comment

Things have changed Ben!

Originally posted by BenB View Post
                Learn Avid along with FCP, there's very, very few jobs for Premier Pro out there.
                Things are changing rapidly. You heard that the entire BBC is on Premiere Pro now? If I was a student in the UK, you bet I'd be learning Premiere Pro.

Premiere had a bad rap in the past, but now it runs circles around FCP. Many post houses picking it up recently.

Heard about Mercury Engine acceleration? No transcoding? I'm a FCP hardcore, but I'm fully won over. No matter that I actually work at Adobe now!

As far as an intermediate codec for WIN? You really don't need one, but those that do usually use Cineform.
                Last edited by telly; 03-31-2011, 02:59 PM.
                Kevin Monahan
                Sr. Content and Community Lead
                Adobe After Effects and Adobe Premiere Pro
                Adobe Systems, Inc.
                San Francisco, CA

Comment

Footer

Collapse
                Working...
                X