Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

non-drop tape inserted, drop frame tape expected?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• non-drop tape inserted, drop frame tape expected?

What do you do when you get this error message when batch digitizing?
    (non drop frame tape inserted, drop frame tape expected. Please insert the drop frame tape)
    My buddy told me i have to modify the tape name and add DF at the end for when its time to online, how do i do that or whats the right way?
    Any input is appreciated.

Re: non-drop tape inserted, drop frame tape expected?

This crops up because:

The tape actually has drop and non drop sources recorded
    The tape was logged as drop when it is non drop
    The tape was logged as non drop when it was drop.

When logging, don't give it a tape name right away. Click IGNORE. Play the tape until you see good active picture, then give it a tape name. This solves issues 2 and 3 above for future logging.

If you already have a tape this way, make sure you are in the part of the tape that is wrong (drop when it expects non drop, or non drop when it expects drop) and give it a new tape name as suggested by your friend. In the case of a batch recapture, it is strange that it allowed the offline to be done differently than what it is expecting. Were these tapes dubbed?

Michael
    Anything 24fps

Comment

Re: non-drop tape inserted, drop frame tape expected?

Thanks for the reply Michael
      Yes these tapes were dubbed.
      Thanks for all the help.
      Appreciate the input

Comment

Non Drop versus Drop and Avid stinks

I know this is an old thread, but I can't sit here quietly anymore. I plan to tell the world what I'm about to tell you guys. No more excuses. Stop blaming me. Avid software is non-intuitive, poorly written JUNK.

I've read a million posts about this non-drop vs drop issue and no one ever truly solves it. I have a non-drop tape. I logged it as non drop. I can't digitize anything on it. I've tried renaming it, re-inserting it, modifying the clips (which does NOTHING as far as I can tell), I've re-booted, I've reset my deck, I have read every bit of Avid help and every bit of the manual relating to time code to no avail. You name it, I've tried it. Avid keeps trying to tell me it's a drop frame tape. THE PROBLEM IS AVID ITSELF. It is poorly written software and can't handle firewire decks.

No one, and I mean no one can convince me that this S&*t is better than Final Cut Pro - because it's not. I am trying to get a job done here and this stupid software just fights me every step of the way.

So if you're having trouble with time code issues on your Avid (or God forbid the unspeakable horror of having a tape that has 32k audio in a 48k project!) well then good luck to you my friend. My advice to anyone reading this is buy a Mac and FCP.

-Frustrated

Originally posted by MIchaelP View Post
        This crops up because:

The tape actually has drop and non drop sources recorded
        The tape was logged as drop when it is non drop
        The tape was logged as non drop when it was drop.

When logging, don't give it a tape name right away. Click IGNORE. Play the tape until you see good active picture, then give it a tape name. This solves issues 2 and 3 above for future logging.

If you already have a tape this way, make sure you are in the part of the tape that is wrong (drop when it expects non drop, or non drop when it expects drop) and give it a new tape name as suggested by your friend. In the case of a batch recapture, it is strange that it allowed the offline to be done differently than what it is expecting. Were these tapes dubbed?

Michael

Comment

Footer

Collapse
        Working...
        X