DV tape repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DV tape repair

Has anyone had any success repairing a torn DV tape? The ribbon has snapped near the end of the tape, but both ends are easy to reach. Can it be treated like an old audio tape splice? I really need some of this material.

Thanks.

Re: DV tape repair

Yep, do it the same way you'd do audio tape. Put your splice tape (I use ordinary Scotch tape) on the shiny side. Any time I've spliced a tape, I always dub it off to another one, just in case.

Comment

I would assume the digital information 'under' the scotch taped area will not be read correctly. I mean it's not exactly like an analog signal laid to tape is it? [img]/2pop/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Comment

The shiny side is the backing, the "emulsion" side is where things are recorded. You'll lose a few frames due to dirt and the splice, and you may have to cut out a few inches of the tape if it's crinkled.

Comment

Dub the repaired tape immediately! Then put the broken tape away and don't run it except in an emergency.

Try not to run the spliced portion over the video heads. The break in the tape could ruin the video heads.
          William Hohauser
          --------------------
          ESPY-TV, Inc.
          New York City

Comment

question about tape repair kits and acceories

what tools do I need to repair a broken mini dv tape
            Radio shack used to carry a tape clamp with a cutter plus splice tapes for an an acurracte splice for cassette tapes Do they make any such kit for mini dv tapes and unsure what tools are needed to open a minidv cassette up if necessary and where can I buy replcement minii dv cassette housing ninus the tape like VHS and audio cassettes do already and whats the size of the mini dv tape is enough

Comment

repair DV tape

I made a U out of a piece of paper clip to keep the brake on the tape reel open. Pinches brake button on back to rear.

Some tapes are welded together, and some have four phillips screws. Keep a stock of screwed tapes to put repaired tape reels into.

Ditto on copying any repaired tape- never know how good your splice is.

Ditt0- I use 3M scotch tape for audio and DV tape, and use sharp scissor to trim off excess.

I have had some luck sometimes fishing loose ends out of the cassette with a curved tweezers and the rell brak off. That way I do not have to crack open the cassette.

I cut open a welded case with a paring kife, starting at each of the four corners. Get's better with practice. Gulp. Remember the goal is to free the tape safely, not save the case. You will put the tape into a new screwed-together case.

Always better to cut out crinkled tape rather than hope it might not screw you up again, unless loosing a few seconds is critical.

I hit the side release button for the tape cover, and retract it, and hold it retracted with a piece of tape. Much easier than trying to take that mechanism apart and back together.

Good luck. Rick Rayfield Romeo Romeo Audio Video Vermont

Comment

OK, here's a quick review on Video One Repair... hope people can get something out of it.

I called them for some issues I was having with my Sony VX2000. I was getting audio dropouts on recordings, tape lock-ups while in playback mode and the jog dial was sticking (yeah, it really sucked!). I was really not wanting to go to any repair shop in my home town because I don't hear good things about any of them at all and they charge $65+ just to look at the camera.

Anyway, I found Video one on google and called them and they seemed really knowledgeable. They ONLY work on Sony and Canon prosumer cameras, so they really know their stuff (sorry if you've got a Panasonic cam... they don't work on those). They were really nice over the phone too.. I even talked to the owner, Sherman a couple times and he gladly took the time to address my concerns with the camera.

Turnaround was quick too... sent the camera in on Wednesday and they had it back to me the following Friday... so that's 9 days total including 2 days shipping both ways, me thinking about whether I wanted to fix it or not for a day and a half ($580 to rebuild the entire tape drive and fix the jog dial.. not bad), and a weekend in there too. So their part basically took a day! Camera came back clean and in perfect working order for all issues.

Oh, and the best part is they have a 6 month guarantee on ANY ISSUES you have with your camcorder! EVEN IF IT'S NOT THE ISSUE THEY FIXED! Of course they said not for water damage or physical damage etc... but WOW! I've NEVER heard of a company doing that!

So bottom line, if you have a Sony or Canon prosumer camera, I recommend you check them out. It's free for them to look at the camera and free shipping back to you, so you just have to ship it to them (was about $18 for me). Their website is http://www.videoonerepair.com

Oh, and I also did a video review that you can check out here (yeah, you could say I'm impressed!): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oC64O...layer_embedded

Comment

Footer

Collapse
                Working...
                X