Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First big project

Hey all,

First thread I have made. I just have a few questions as I am new to all this and just getting into it.

I have a Canon XH A1s, a Rode NTG - 3 Shotgun mic few filters. ****ty tripod and that is about it.

This weekend I have to film about 20 hours of footage for a charity and edit a movie together that goes for about 2 hours. I have made a few small videos and I'm learning how to edit now. ( http://youtube.com/intergageqxc if you want to take a look at my work so far. )

I'll be doing speeches a few night shots, road shots. The normal really, nothing too out of it. It's a bunch of people helping out a charity by riding their motorbikes around the country.
    So lots of moving shots and I have to capture the sound perfect of the bikes riding through the Mt.

Can anyone give me some quick tips for this weekend? Like, what mics I should use for what? I have in my head Ill be using the shotgun mic for inside speeches and stuff and the built in mic for the bikes going past.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

There's a whole range of equipment you can use; you'll get lots of arguments and debate as to which is best. My advice is to start cheap and upgrade as and when requirements become clear and you know what you NEED. Also, the trick is to not just shoot random footage but to have some form of story outline ( see http://www.clickok.co.uk/index4.html ) ; lots of films and documentaries follow a certain story pattern and you should become familair with it. In my experience, it is not the technical stuff that makes a project fail (relatively easy to master the technical stuff, buy equipment etc), but the lack of understanding of story so that your film flows. Establish conflicts, create movement / journey etc.

You'll be shooting alot more than this one project..if you just keep going and refining then you'll get really good. This idea of continual optimization is key.

Comment

Footer

Collapse
    Working...
    X