Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Cinematic feel", HDV?

Hi everyone!

My name's Olivier, and I'm studding Cinema in Paris, France.
    I'm currently in the process of writing my first short film that I'll be directing this summer. I managed to set up a small crew (fellow students) and my school should allow me to borrow some professional sound equipment. I'm still looking for a cinematographer though (well, a fellow student too I guess!).

Of course, I have no budget at all so it looks like I'm gonna have to shoot using a Sony HVR-HD1000E.

A friend of mine made a short film with it, and it doesn't look bad (although I have no idea what it's actually really worth). Thing is, I'd like get as close as possible to a "cinematic" look (just like every cinema student on earth )

So I was wondering if this reference's any good, and if there's anything I could do to give the film a cinematic feel (besides using artificial lights), especially when it comes to outdoor scenes.
    I plan on using post-production/color correction process to "cheat" and "hide" the HDV looks as much as I can, but I'd like to do everything I can.

I hope my post isn't too long, and that you kind, competent people will be nice enough to gimme a hand here....

Best

Oliv.
    "The essence of cinema is editing. It's the combination of what can be extraordinary images of people during emotional moments, or images in a general sense, put together in a kind of a alchemy"
    Francis F. Coppola

Light like film, block like film, frame like film, learn film color grading basics.
    Digital Media Instructor for
    Louisiana State University & Delgado College

Comment

With HDV and interlaced only- that's going against you right out of the gate. A 24p camera- heck any current DSLR would shoot something more filmic.

Noah
      GH2, GoPro HD, AC160, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D training at www.CallBoxLive.com
      40% discount for 2-poppers! Use code 2pop2012 on these titles.

Comment

Footer

Collapse
      Working...
      X