Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• multiple formats in same timeline?

Hi everyone,

I'm about to start cutting on my first feature length doc project. All of the footage thus far was shot at 24p but has been digitized at 29.97. Is this because, as I understand it, the Panasonic HVX-100 does a pulldown internally, or was this stuff digitized incorrectly (not by me, before I got here).

Secondly, we're about to get an influx of stuff shot on HD (on the Panasonic HVX-100 A). This footage was shot onto P2 cards and has been copied over to drives as they shoot. Tomorrow or the next day I should start seeing this stuff. I understand that FCP (we're running V6) can handle multiple frame rates and formats in the timeline, but what stumbling blocks do I need to look out for, and what, if anything, do I need to do in advance to make this go as smoothly as possible?

And, finally, the client wants to finish in HD. We've purchased but have yet to receive Magic Bullet to do our up-resing with. Am I walking into a minefield here?

Any info would be very greatly appreciated! Thanks!

HDV blues due to mixed format and multi time base

Hi I have HDV blues with regards mixed format and multi time base.
    Any help advice will be greatly appreciated.

I am hoping to master DVD directly on the configuration ( details provided below ) to deliver to NTSC and PAL market.
    However I would need to take to a post house, one or more quicktime file to Output to Digital Betacam for both NTSC and PAL formats.

with regards

problems I am facing are on two fronts:

1) I am unsure of best quality to output master on Digital Betacam tape in NTSC and PAL both formats.

2) With sequence set at HDV 1080 50i, and export setting as current setting, upon render and export of self contained quicktime direct from FCP timeline I face few troubling symptoms;
    - that the quicktime exports 3mins to 35 minutes of qt clip but not the whole program of 90 minutes as one clip. System crashes and I have to reboot.

- Another symptom is that by doing above my time line shows aduio as out of sync to video. here is see the a1,a2 as being torn apart at cut edit points and have gap of 1 frame at random ( but not on all edit points ).

a3, a4 and other music and sound fx tracks have slipped off sync by few frames , again at random and also other places the edit comes back in sync with audio.

- Of course I am having to re- render this sequence timeine a zillion times even though the previously rendered files still exist in relevant folder.
    ---------------------------------

Program duration: 90 minutes
    current sequence : 1440 x 1080 at 50i

edit sequence time-line consists following source material directly ingested from tape via firewire in native HDV and DV:
    VIDEO
    -HDV footage of 1440 x 1080, 50i
    -HDV footage of 1440 x 1080, 60i
    -PAL footage standard and widescreen*
    -NTSC footage*standard and widescreen*
    - still images
    AUDIO
    -AUDIO is 16 bits , *48Khz
    - Voice Over is 24 bit , 48 Khz

Software: Final Cut Pro version 6
    QT: 7.4.1
    ------------------
    System configuration:

1) Mackbook pro: OS 10.4.11
    graphics/ display card: GeForce 8600M GT

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
    monitor: one apple cinema display 23 inch
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro3,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB
    Memory: 4 GB
    Bus Speed: 800 MHz

2) Mac pro: dual core, 2.3 ghz, 3GB RAM
    two apple cinema display 23 inch
    --------------------------
    All project media residing in 1TB Lacie 800 firewire external disk.

Comment

Footer

Collapse
    Working...
    X