Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

S16mm Work Flow - any guides or guidance ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mishka
    replied
    1. Telecine 16mm in a 'one light' or 'best light' to HDCAM SR tape at 25fps
    HDCAM SR is an overkill for dailies. Transfer to Beta SP or DVCAM.

2. At the same time sync the sound (recorded 48k)
    Any editor will do much better job syncing production sound to picture than most telecine operators will.

3. Do something in cinema tools (conform to 24fps? make database?! need help here... !)
    The help is in the manual. There is some here too:
    http://www.2-popforums.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=93966
    http://www.2-popforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=107717

4. Edit in FCP at 25fps in offline resolution (or 24fps?)
    Do not mess with sound. Cut at 24 fps.

5. export EDL to go back to 16mm rushes to do final grade (does this use cinema tools again to find the correct takes?)
    As long as you have a list of TC's for punch holes on every roll you can give a lab regular EDL instead of cut list. I still recommend creating a proper Cinema Tools database because edgecode is physical and timecode is ephemeral but it will work with EDL only.

6. take new graded footage either in HD 1920x1080 or 2k DPX and finalise online edit
    If you go back to film you don't grade during transfer. You scan to 2k DPX and go to the place where they grade for filmout. If you finish on video grading during transfer is probably OK.

7. Master to HDCAM SR or export DPX or Tiff files to go back to 35mm film out if needed?
    Make decision about releasing or not releasing on film as early as you can. Transferring videomaster to film is inferior to transferring graded digital intermediate to film.

Leave a comment:

• NoahKadner
    replied
    Are you in a PAL world- why 25 fps?

Noah

Leave a comment:

• alphabetikal
    started a topic S16mm Work Flow - any guides or guidance ?

S16mm Work Flow - any guides or guidance ?

Hi all
    This is my first post, please excuse me for that.. but gotta start somewhere.

I will be recieiving rushes for a short shot on S16mm and the plan is to edit in FCP 6 on my Quad core Mac Pro

I need some answers for workflow- are there any definite guides out there?
    I have theories of how this is done (been a TV editor for 4yrs but never edited film... :S ) if you would enlighten me-

1. Telecine 16mm in a 'one light' or 'best light' to HDCAM SR tape at 25fps
    2. At the same time sync the sound (recorded 48k)
    3. Do something in cinema tools (conform to 24fps? make database?! need help here... !)
    4. Edit in FCP at 25fps in offline resolution (or 24fps?)
    5. export EDL to go back to 16mm rushes to do final grade (does this use cinema tools again to find the correct takes?)
    6. take new graded footage either in HD 1920x1080 or 2k DPX and finalise online edit
    7. Master to HDCAM SR or export DPX or Tiff files to go back to 35mm film out if needed?

ANY guidance or links would be a MASSIVE help

thanks all
    ant
    Last edited by alphabetikal; 03-24-2010, 12:55 PM.

Footer

Collapse
Working...
X