Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compressor won't "Submit"

Hi,

I'm trying to export a FCP 4.0 sequence to Compressor to compress for a burn to DVD. I export from FCP fine, but in Compressor, after I've chosen my presets and destinations, the sunmit button is stilled greyed out. Am I forgetting to do something? I'm on a Dual 2 Gig, G5, running OS 10.2.7. Any help would be great, thanks.

Kieran
    G5 DP 2.0GHz, 2.5GB RAM, FCP HD 5.0.4, QT 7.0.3

Re: Compressor won\'t \"Submit\"

Kieran,

When you say you are exporting from FCP4, you mean while you are in FCP4 you are going to File-Export-Using Compressor, correct? When you do this, and the compressor "Batch" window comes up, is the submit button greyed out at that time? If so, are you running the updated version of Compressor, version 1.0.1? If you are, I would first repair disk permissions. If that doesn't solve the problem, I would look at the "Apple Compressor issue work arounds" post at the top of this forum and do the procedure under Issue #2, "Unable to connect to background process". If none of this fixes the problem, post back.

Good Luck,
    -Tim
    http://viewfromhere.org
    a progressive photo blog

Comment

Hi Tim,

So I downloaded the update for Compressor and I ran into the "Cannot connect ti background action" warning, then I did that was posted earlier and things work great now. Thanks very much for your help, I really am blown away everytime I run into what seems an impossible block in this computer world and some godsend from 2-pop comes along and saves the day like it was nothing.

Right, I have one last question; why do we have to shut down our access to the Internet in order for Compressor to work? When I ran version 1.0 on a G4 1.4 Gig this summer it worked fine...now that I upgraded to a G5 it sucks, what's going on? And is there anyway to still access the Net while using compressor? Oh well, the price paid for using Mac I guess.

thanks,
      Kieran

Comment

Kieran,

One of the great things about 2-POP is that it is a community. Most of us have stumbled through these problems ourselves and have helped each other as we go. If you get the chance, pass it on and help others with the things you have learned.

As far as why this happens with Compressor, you would have to ask Apple that one. I have been using Apple's video software since FCP 1 and I remember back then, it was advised that you not even have internet browser or internet connection software on the computer with FCP. So it is a little bit better now. All you have to do now is make sure the network is disconnected. After you close Compressor, you can go back on the internet. Pretty crazy.

Glad it worked out for you.
        -Tim
        a progressive photo blog

Comment

Still Won\'t Work for Me

I still cannot process a batch in Compressor even if I completely disconnect my ethernet cable, reboot, etc. Changing Network settings doesn't help either. I reinstalled Compressor. No luck. I have all the updates. Still no go.

Is there any other work around?

My work machine is identically configured (different model) and works fine. Never once had the "Unable to connect to background process" error.

Comment

Re: Still Won\'t Work for Me

Hi,

Yeah the "Unable to connect" thing didn't happen to me either until I had disconnected the Internet and then I could press "submit". If you already tried the update and it doesn't work, I'm afraid I don't know what the problem is...but you would only get the connect message after you submit.

really sorry...let us know if you find the fix,
            Kieran

Comment

Re: Still Won\'t Work for Me

Really out of other options if it still does not work. Remember to repair disk permissions and do a Single User Mode as described in the Ken Stone article, Care and feeding of Jaguar.
              http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage...eding_jag.html

Other than that, sorry, out of suggestions. I can relate to your frustration.
              -Tim
              a progressive photo blog

Comment

Re: Worked for Me - fix

I've gotten it to work again by going to the command line (Terminal in your Utilities folder) and typing:
                sudo SystemStarter
                which starts up (again) all your startup items. there is probably a more direct way of using SystemStarter, but this worked for me (10.3.4, FCP4.5, Compressor 1.21).

Comment

Re: Worked for Me - fix

I will keep that suggestion in mind. Thanks.
                  -Tim
                  a progressive photo blog

Comment

Submit Grayed Out

I have found that when the compressor submit button is grayed out, it is due to your hard drive is full that you are dumping the files too, or that you need to "reset your background processing."

Comment

Footer

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X