X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple's Compressor 1 bug work arounds UPDATED

Issue #1
    For those of you who have been trying to use Compressor to output an "MPEG 4 Improved NTSC for fast cable streaming" and keep coming up with a white frame at the end of the video, we have come up with a simple work around.

Create a custom preset and copy everything in the "MPEG 4 Improved NTSC for fast cable streaming" preset, except the 29.97 frames per second in the encoding video section. Change that to 30 frames per second. In the tests we have done, this removes the white frame at the end of the resulting video clip.

Issue #2
    Here is a detailed solution to the "Unable to connect to background process" Compressor issue. It works for most users, but unfortunately not all.

Do the following:

MAC OX 10.2.6

Log off the web
    Go into Sys Prefs
    Then choose Network
    Set a new Location profile by clicking on New Location
    Name it OFF
    Go to Show and choose Network Port Configurations
    Uncheck all the boxes under ON
    Then click Apply Now.

You should now be able to submit a batch.
    Thanks to sandmac for input on this.

Issue #3
    You are working on a G5 and have done all the above fixes and you still cannot get Compressor to submit batches, or you can get Compressor to submit but it freezes during encoding or it encodes the file or batch but then the file or batch has pixelation, glitches or dropouts in the final output. Here is a possible work around.

This is a ram issue. Damien of Earthling Productions writes, "We had an encoding problem on a G5. Everything was running fine, for some two to three months, but when I started encoding, in my case it finished fine, but there were glitches here and there in my mpeg-2 files. It took a while to isolate the problem. I removed the extra ram, did an encode with only the original 512 MB, and the problem was solved." Try removing your extra RAM and see if this solves your problem. This has occurred with all different brands of RAM.

Thanks Damien.

As more issues become known, we will try to post work arounds.
    Hope these help.
    -Tim

PS: Be sure to download the Compressor 1.2.1 update.

Also, here is the Apple Knowledge Base article about the "Unable to connect to background process" error:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93234
    http://viewfromhere.org
    a progressive photo blog

Re: Apple\'s Compressor issue work arounds

Good advice.

Thanks Tim.
    David
    2-pop Guide

A New Blog About Video
    secondchairvideo
    http://www.secondchairvideo.com/

Comment

So far I have tried the prebundle trick with the terminal, the address book card, switching off ethernet and modem, reinstalling, repairing permissions, fsck -y. Nothing worked. I installed on a new clean Panther 10.31 with FCP 4.1. DP 800 1 gig of RAM. I think for some of us we have to wait for Apple to issue a fix. At least it does encode as a stand alone app!

Comment

I hadn't checked this for a while, but I can confirm that, for me, Compressor now exports from the Timeline in FCP 4.11 on Panther 10.33

Comment

Glad to hear it is working for you now.

-Tim
          a progressive photo blog

Comment

Re: Apple\'s Compressor bug work arounds

Are there any updates to this? I have to use the work around you listed here and I am using Mac OS 10.3.4 with Compressor 1.2 and Final Cut Pro HD. Is this one of those situations where I will have to Re-install? It is just a little annoying to have to turn off the network everytime and not be able to use it during compression. I know this next question isn't about compression, but Cinema Tools 2.2 comes up in my software update everytime I run it. It doesn't matter how many times I install it. I have reinstalled it from the disk and ran the updates and it still wants me to install it evertime I run software update. I just ignore it, but it is kind of annoying. I am on a Dual 1 GHz G4.

Comment

Try repairing disk permissions and doing a single user mode boot, that sometimes clears up alot of the issues. Do not know of any other updates as of late.

-Tim
              a progressive photo blog

Comment

Hi, I have been trying the work arounds you suggested for the "Cannot Submit Batch: Unable to Connect to Background Process", but I am still having the same problem.

I am running FCP 4.1 and Compressor 1.2 on Panther OSX 10.3.4. And I am trying to compress to MPEG-2 60-min High Quality. I have tried the following work-arounds:

- turning Network settings off
                - repairing and verifying system prefs
                - launching Compressor first before exporting directly from FCP
                - trashing the Compressor prefs file
                - trashing the FCP prefs file
                - trashing QMaster logs

None of these solutions has worked. Any further help you can offer is appreciated.

Thanks,
                Spencer

Comment

You need to update to FCP 4.5 if you are trying to use Compressor 1.2. Update to 4.5, trash all your preferences, do a Repair Disk Permissions, and you should be good to go.

-Tim
                  a progressive photo blog

Comment

Tim,

Thanks for the prompt response. I run FCP 4.1 and FCP 4.5 on my machine, and the problem is happening in 4.5 as well. I need to keep 4.1 on my machine to coincide work with a third party machine that only runs 4.1. I tried your work around in 4.5, and I got the same error.

My dilemma is that I want to export my edits at the highest possible quality for MPEG-2 ripping. It's my understanding that to export the project as a QT movie, then to import it into Compressor degrades the quality of the DV encode.

Any more light you can shed on this would be appreciated.

Thanks again,
                    Spencer

Comment

Spencer,

I think your problem is caused by running both FCP 4.1 and FCP 4.5 on the same machine. I think your 4.1 is probably causing the problem.

You can export your DV stream by going to File>Export>Quicktime Movie...
                      Then open Compressor and drop that Quicktime file right into the Batch window. You will not lose any quality if you do it this way. I am not sure it will work this way because back when everyone was using FCP 4.1, the folks that were having the problem you are having now, did not have any better luck doing it the way I just described, they still got the error message when they tried to encode.

-Tim
                      a progressive photo blog

Comment

I solved the work around situation by uninstalling both version of FCP and reinstalling just one, then updating to 4.5 and repairing permissions. I also found that turning off network settings while running Compressor gave less likelihood of an error message. Thanks for the help, Tim.

Comment

Re: Apple\'s Compressor bug work arounds UPDATED

FYI - I was told in an Apple store that they will only gaurantee that their software products to work on Computers that have been upgraded with Apple RAM only. So removing your extra RAM back to the stock 512 is a good quick fix to get a project done immediatly - your best long term solution for having the extra RAM that you really need for RAM hungry programs like "Motion" is to pay the few extra bucks and buy your RAM at an Apple Store. Also I can't remember which it is, but "Compressor won't work at all with either the last version of Jaguar or the first version of Panther - your best bet for having all of Apple's Pro Apps run seemlesly is to upgrade to the latest version of Panther.

Comment

See my post "Glitches after QT movie export not in project file" in Final Cut Pro HD. The fix there is the only thing that worked for me and many others. Turning off your network doesn't actually fix anything, it's a temporary workaround.

Since then, I came across another potential fix but haven't been able to try it since my system is now working:

Open Terminal.
                            Once opened, type the following command:

sudo pico /etc/hostconfig

hit enter, it will ask for your password. Type it in and hit enter. When you type, you won't see any keystrokes, just trust that they're there.

If it works you'll have the file /etc/hostconfig opened in the pico editor. Use the arrow keys to navigate. Towards the top of the file, you'll see an entry "HOSTNAME=-AUTOMATIC-"

change -AUTOMATIC- to "localhost". When you're done, it should look exactly like:

HOSTNAME=localhost

Once you've made this edit, hit control-x to exit, it will ask you if you want to save the file, just hit enter. Reboot your computer and compressor should work.

If that works, please advise to I can add it to my list of known fixes.
                            Russ Coffman
                            Apple Certified Trainer

Comment

Russ,

Not sure who you are quoting in the post over on FCP HD, but here is the information:

[ QUOTE ]
                              I had this same problem and followed all the advise found on the forum and followed the directions from apple support posts...NO JOY... I broke down and called Apple support...here is how we fixed it...Throught the Finder we navigated to the "etc" folder to find the "hostconfig" file. Holding the Command (apple) key down I clicked and dragged that file to the desktop...it ask for my admin password, I entered it and it moved the file to the desktop. We added a ".old" extension to that file name and then Command/Click/Drag back to the "etc" folder. I don't remember if I restarted or not, but this fixed the problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have not tried either one of these fixes, so I cannot vouch for whether either of them work, so you will be trying them at your own risk. If the previous fixes do not solve your "Unable to connect" issue, one of these two solutions might.

-Tim
                              a progressive photo blog

Comment

Footer

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X