Long video takes & DSLR

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long video takes & DSLR

so I was reading that some canons that shoot video (like the EOS 7D) can only take exposures for 12 or so minutes before they 'over' heat and the camera will make the cut in the clip (but still remain on).

Is there any DSLRs that have a feature to make a long single take (like 30 minutes)?

I know this is not traditional for any shot to be even remotely this long. There is two movies that come to mind that utilize long takes (such as The Protector the 2005 one and Children of Men). Children of Men executed the car scene very nicely. And I think the shot was 12 minutes plus.

The reason for using a DSLR is because that I can use it for its primary purpose of photography and then get the added bonus of high quality video without spending money on multiply devices.

Is there does not exist such a device then what would be peoples favorite DSLR that shoots video. Price point being 3k USD (body). Ideally I'd like to only work with spending under 1.5k USD (with a lens) but I dont think the market is there yet. Mostly I'm looking for the best option out there. I feel that the market is wanting to open to this new direction of digital photography and video.
    "I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes, or should I?" -Ghost in the Shell referencing J.D. Salinger

"I don't scratch my head unless it itches and I don't dance unless I hear some music. I will not be intimidated. That's just the way it is." -Boone from Remember the Titans (2000)

It's not "overheating" it's because they have a 4GB file size limitation since the cards are formatted FAT32.
    sigpic
    Eric Peterson (AKA, "Zwick")
    Person in charge
    Content creation/Education
    http://www.ericnp.net

Comment

how can i get around the formatting issue of the flash card?
      "I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes, or should I?" -Ghost in the Shell referencing J.D. Salinger

"I don't scratch my head unless it itches and I don't dance unless I hear some music. I will not be intimidated. That's just the way it is." -Boone from Remember the Titans (2000)

Comment

I don't believe all DSLRs format FAT32, you might want to do some Googling on this.
        sigpic
        Eric Peterson (AKA, "Zwick")
        Person in charge
        Content creation/Education
        http://www.ericnp.net

Comment

All SDHC shooting cameras are FAT32- there is no way around this limitation. However, Panasonic DSLR cameras such as the GH2 span clips over the 4GB limit. In other words you can record continuously until you run out of space on the card. Canon cameras do not have this spanning capability for their DSLR video. So if you're interested in very long takes, consider the GH2. It also boasts a video processor that completely outguns all current Canon DSLR video cameras. Worth a look...

Noah
          Last edited by NoahKadner; 02-26-2011, 09:10 AM.
          GH2, GoPro HD, AC160, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D training at www.CallBoxLive.com
          40% discount for 2-poppers! Use code 2pop2012 on these titles.

Comment

Long takes on a DSLR

Nikon has cameras that accept two memory cards extending recording time to 20 minutes. You might want to stay at $1500 or below for the camera. You're going to spend that much again to outfit the thing and get some editing software.

Comment

Originally posted by hdc77494 View Post
              Nikon has cameras that accept two memory cards extending recording time to 20 minutes. You might want to stay at $1500 or below for the camera. You're going to spend that much again to outfit the thing and get some editing software.

GH2 is the way to go all the way. You can roll for hours and hours and no overheating issues. Beats the pants off the Canon DSLRs on lots of ways, except maybe in low-light.

Comment

Everything by taxes!
                Cameras have lower duty as camcorders.

By law DSLRs are a only cameras becouse records to 15 minutes.

Comment

Footer

Collapse
                Working...
                X