Nikon D600 Video settings and tips - please help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nikon D600 Video settings and tips - please help

Hi, I'm directing a video with a cinematographer using the Nikon D600. She a pro photographer but inexperienced at video and I said I could help her with settings, etc. but I want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

Does anyone have experience with this camera? If so - can you please suggest the best settings for highest quality video. Any tips or suggestions?

I've set it to 1080p 24 fps (HQ). Is there anything else I should set to make sure it's the highest res the camera will allow? Any suggestions on maximum ISO? Shutter speed?

FWIW - She's a pro photographer and for reasons I won't explain (but mostly to do with her good eye, lighting, and styling skills and some things to do with the client) I asked her to shoot the video even though she is inexperienced at video. I told her I could figure out the video settings on the camera. I thought I had them fine, but the resulting files show a bit rate of 2.5/sec while I've read they should be 25/sec. This got me concerned I'm not as smart as I thought! Please help with any advice if you've got it.

Thanks!

I don't have that camera so I can't get too specific. The camera shoots 24 or 12 Mbps in full HD so I don't understand how you could be getting 2.5, unless that's not Mbps. Where/how are you getting that number? Have you watched this video?
    sigpic
    Eric Peterson (AKA, "Zwick")
    Person in charge
    Content creation/Education
    http://www.ericnp.net

Comment

Exactly my confusion. I'm getting that 2.5/sec number when I drop files into FCP 7 and look at the info. It says 2.5/second is that "data rate" but I assume that's the same as bit rate. Am I wrong?

I haven't seen this video. Watching it now. Thank you.

Comment

Alright, I just watched that video and the drawbacks it mentions are consistent with some of our tests. Can anyone recommend an alternative Nikon DSLR we can rent that's better for video - especially in darker settings (We're shooting in a theater with theatrical lighting)? We have Nikon lenses. We're shooting Sunday so please reply soon if you have any ideas!

Thank you.

Peter

Comment

Some of the downside of shooting video on the D600 as presented in the YouTube video is intrinsic to the downside of shooting video on many if not most DSLR cameras. You need to shoot around these issues as best you can if that's the route you want to take. As far as low light goes you want to optimize that situation by using the largest aperture lens you can muster up. I think the video I see here shot on the D600 without any color correction looks pretty darn good. As far as the data rate issue goes, I'd recommend opening something up in QuickTime Pro and checking the inspector to see what rate is being reported. I don't know what you're looking at in FCP 7 but we write data rate units like this, Mbps, Mbit/s, or Mb/s (not to be confused with MBps, or MB/s, which would be megabytes per second.)

sigpic
          Eric Peterson (AKA, "Zwick")
          Person in charge
          Content creation/Education
          http://www.ericnp.net

Comment

Footer

Collapse
          Working...
          X