Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H.264 settings for TV broadcast

Hello,

I am sending over the internet a 30sec TVC to a company that will distribute it to the TV networks. They have asked for H.264.

I have made the highest quality H.264 file I could in compressor (I am running the latest compressor)

The file ended up having a data rate of 8mbs, and being about 60 mb in size (the TVC is a mixture of Talking heads and titles on a solid background - so not a lot of movement etc to compress).

I was surprised by the small size and data rate. Am I missing something in the settings?

Resolution is Anamorphic 16:9, 720 x 576 (PAL),
    I used the variable bit rate encoding setting set to the highest quality,
    Key frame was set to every 25 frames (source footage is 25fps)
    Audio is PCM, 48 kHz stereo.

Should I instead use the setting where I can set the data rate rather than the best quality setting.

Is there anything else I can do to up the quality?

It's a FCP DV project exported to QT None Compression before being taken in to Compressor.

You comments would be very much appreciated.

Best Regards,

Sarah

H.264 for broadcast seems like an odd request to me but anyway...

You used this setting in Compressor > QuickTime > H.264 and changed the Compressor Quality to Best in the Video Compression Settings, correct?

That's about all you can do for that setting.

Why? What's wrong with the quality?

EDIT: I just encoded DV/NTSC with the settings I have above and the data rate was 10.45 mbits/s. Looks pretty good. Looks a lot better than the default setting which is "High." Both multi-pass. The "Best" setting is also almost 4X the file size of "High."
    Last edited by Zwick; 05-17-2008, 02:50 AM.
    sigpic
    Eric Peterson (AKA, "Zwick")
    Person in charge
    Content creation/Education
    http://www.ericnp.net

Comment

Set keyframes to Automatic, too. H.264 will give you a small file size with really good image quality, that's it's purpose. As for broadcast, I agree, this seems like a very odd request!
      -Ben
      Digital Media Instructor for
      Louisiana State University & Delgado College

Comment

How do you set the key frames to automatic?

Comment

In Compressor apply your setting, go to the Encoder tab in the Inspector, click Video: Settings, that's where you'll see it. This is really basic stuff. You need to spend some time exploring your applications and use the manual and get beyond the basics.
          sigpic
          Person in charge

Comment

Originally posted by fenster4
            What's with the snide comment? You don't even know me! I had a simple question and that was it. I didn't ask for any put downs mister!
            There's nothing "snide" about it and I'm sorry you took it so harshly. It was meant as constructive criticism and it is right on. Going into Standard Video Compression Settings is basic QT Pro functionality. You can't get past observing this.

I have replied to over 3,300 posts here at 2-Pop and it is common we (moderators) ask people to do a little homework and get past the basics. This is respectful of the moderators time and that of other users. So you tell me now, where is the disrespect?
            Last edited by Zwick; 06-29-2008, 09:59 PM.
            sigpic
            Person in charge

Comment

Fenster-

Ya hafta admit that your first post was pretty sketchy on details.

How can Zwick possibly know how much you know about Compressor based on your first question? Your first question was, you have to admit, really basic.

Your post leaves a lot unspoken, and you have to expect that moderators will go back to the beginning to make sure nothing has been overlooked. Assuming that this is an insult to you is taking it much more personally than it was ever meant.

Zwick is one of our most experienced compressionists. He does know what he's talking about. He gives of his time freely here, as do all our moderators.

Respectfully,

debe

Comment

As an interesting side note to broadcast and H264, Australian TV stations have recently started accepting high quality H264 masters for broadcast. A number of stations have been doing something similar for several years but with MPEG2 masters delivered electronically through an automated system. One step forward, two steps backward right...
                Last edited by pmcdonald; 07-28-2008, 06:14 PM.

Comment

Yes, the OP on this is also out of Australia.
                  sigpic
                  Person in charge

Comment

Footer

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X