mpeg no longer fits on DVD - please help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mpeg no longer fits on DVD - please help

I've been using Compressor to make mpegs for our documentary for the last year and a half, and the files always fit on the DVD just fine. Our movie is just under 2 hours, and using the "120 minute - Best Quality" preset gave us a file size of about 4.2 G.

Now that we're about to take the final version to the replicators, suddenly Compressor is creating a mpeg half a Gig larger which no longer fits on the DVD. The ave. bit rate is 5.0 and the max is 7.5. Compressor estimates the file size to be 4.18 GBs.

We are using a Dual 1.8 GHz G5 with OSX 10.4.6, our movie was edited in Avid Xpress Pro 4.8.4 and Compressor 2.0.1. I have been exporting my timeline as reference files in Avid and making the mpegs in Compressor and finishing in DVDSP.

Recently, Compressor started freezing in the middle of this process but continued to work on other videos. I looked for corrupted files but didn't find any, so I did a video and audio mix-down of my timeline and exported this as a Quicktime reference file, just like before. Compressor was able to complete the job, but now with a much larger file. I tried exporting the entire movie as a 24 GB .mov file and just got the same result.

Can anyone tell me how I can get this file down to the proper size without bringing the bit rate way down?

Thanks for any help!

Tim

Nope- you'll have to knock the bitrate down a little. You can go 2-3 Mbps down before you can really tell the difference.

Noah
    GH2, GoPro HD, AC160, Canon EOS 5D Mark II and Canon 7D training at www.CallBoxLive.com
    40% discount for 2-poppers! Use code 2pop2012 on these titles.

Comment

Well, if that's what I have to do, then I'll do it. Really, I'd just like to understand why this changed all of a sudden.

Thanks, Noah.

-Tim

Comment

Are you using an AC3 encode for your audio? If you use AIFF it is going to be substantially larger in file size.
        sigpic
        Eric Peterson (AKA, "Zwick")
        Person in charge
        Content creation/Education
        http://www.ericnp.net

Comment

Also, make sure your Max bit rate is only one digit larger than you Avg bit rate. That 7.5 is what's throwing you off. You're Max should never be over 7.1 anyway, but I'd try a bit rate of 4.5 avg, with a max at 5.5. And AC3 audio, for sure!

You do know in Compressor's Inspector window, you can check the estimated file size before you compress, right?
          Last edited by BenB; 07-26-2008, 10:41 AM.
          Digital Media Instructor for
          Louisiana State University & Delgado College

Comment

Right, the ac3 files are fine, it's just the video that's coming out wrong. And yeah, I have been checking the estimated size in the Inspector window. It says the file should be 4.18 GB. That's why I'm getting so frustrated, because the numbers don't seem to add up right.

Thanks for the setting suggestions, BenB. I'll try that. Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of time for trial and error because we need to have this DVD out the door on Monday.

-Tim

Comment

Footer

Collapse
            Working...
            X