Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compressor "can't connect to background process"

Hi,

I know that this is a common problem and Compressor works fine on my TIGER 10.4 on my old G4, but not my new Macbook Pro 2.4 running Leopard 10.5.5.

I am running FINAL CUT Studio with Compressor 2 and have tried everything I can think of from re-installing FCP and Compressor, dumping preferences, and receipts, running come code into terminal that I read online and re-installing the entire sweet. I also used FCS Remover to get rid of the program before I re-installed everything.

This is very frustrating. If there is anyone out there that might have some answers I would very much appreciate it.

Thanks..,Ian

Dreamchineprod@sbcglobal.net

Would you like to explain what Compressor is doing or not doing? What exactly is the problem? What is this code you are running in Terminal?

Then look up these two words, sweet and suite.
    sigpic
    Eric Peterson (AKA, "Zwick")
    Person in charge
    Content creation/Education
    http://www.ericnp.net

Comment

The problem that I have is that when I hit the submit button in Compressor, I receive the following message.

Cannot Submit Batch
      Unable to connect to background process

It is a quite common dilemma. I had it one before a long time ago.

As far as the commands are concerned, I don't remember them exactly. I had read an article online that was attempting to reset Qmaster.

I have no need to look up the words. I have been at this all day and am getting sloppy.

Thanks...Ian
      Last edited by taomation; 12-20-2008, 01:26 AM.

Comment

Some people have reported this works on earlier versions of Compressor but it was written for Compressor 3. Give a try and let us know if it worked: http://www.digitalrebellion.com/compressor_repair.htm

Also check: http://support.apple.com/kb/TA47672?viewlocale=en_US
        Last edited by Zwick; 12-20-2008, 10:41 AM.
        sigpic
        Person in charge

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. They both seemed like they should work, but neither of them did. There are a couple of messages that I am getting that seem like they may be part of the problem. One was shown during the Compressor Repair session and read "Checking for permissions...
          /usr/local/libhelium_mac.a does not exist. You are advised to reinstall Compressor/ Qmaster."

Which i did after following the instructions on the other link that you sent me.

When that didn't work, I tried repairing my permissions and received this message..."Permissions differ on "private/var/log/secure.log", should be -rw-------,they
          Warning:SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/FInder.app/Contents/Resource.

If you or anyone else might know what this means or if it is affecting my problem, please let me know. And once again, thanks for your help. I appreciate it very much...Ian

Comment

Originally posted by taomation View Post
            When that didn't work, I tried repairing my permissions and received this message..."Permissions differ on "private/var/log/secure.log", should be -rw-------,they
            Warning:SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/FInder.app/Contents/Resource.
            These are common. You can ignore them.

EDIT: Do you have Snitch installed on that machine? Have you installed any other 3rd party themes or network utilities?
            Last edited by Zwick; 12-20-2008, 04:27 PM.
            sigpic
            Person in charge

Comment

No. Nothing like that. All the 3rd party software on this machine is for photography, music, sound editing and 3D animation etc., except something like Google Earth.

This a a very baffling problem. I worked on a job a few weeks ago where I was using a program called XDCAM Transfer which is used for importing Sony XDCAM clips into the computer and turns them into QT files for Final Cut. Eventually I determined that I couldn't use FCP 5.1 because somehow the programs talked to each other. So in desperation, I used the directors pirated 6.0 disk, which didn't work, but it caused me to take it off and re-install 5.1. I had never used this computer to compress so I don't know if that situation may have caused a problem. It's unlikely, but just thought you should know the history, in case there is something that I didn't think of.

Sorry for the long-winded response...Ian

Comment

Originally posted by taomation View Post
                ... in desperation, I used the directors pirated 6.0 disk, which didn't work, but it caused me to take it off and re-install 5.1. I had never used this computer to compress so I don't know if that situation may have caused a problem. It's unlikely...
                I think it's highly probable there is a conflict in doing that plus a little bad karma. Consider an erase and install, OS, Studio, etc.
                sigpic
                Person in charge

Comment

I don't steal programs. And I really don't want to re-install my whole hard drive. What conflict could it create, when I've dumped all of my FCP things even using programs to do it? Do you think that upgrading to 6 would do it? I would have done it on this job if the director wasn't such a cheap skate pirate...Ian
                  Last edited by taomation; 12-20-2008, 06:32 PM.

Comment

Not saying it was anything more than a mistake on your part. It's just not the kind of stuff you want to do. It's easy enough for some component that wasn't de-installed to be hanging out, causing you grief. It's obvious to me you are having problems that go beyond the fixes that have worked for others. Doing a legit 6 upgrade may solve the problem, I can't say. I would think you need and want to do it somewhere along the line anyway. Personally I would have timed that with the move to the MacBook Pro.
                    sigpic
                    Person in charge

Comment

Success!!!! Hey Zwick. It finally worked! I hadn't done an update after the last attempts and now it seems to be working. Thanks very much for your help and patience. I truly appreciate it.

As for the upgrade to 6. Yes, of course I should have done it a long time ago. Fortunately or unfortunately I do a lot of different things between music, editing, photography and production and post production sound. So there are so many things I need for each area that I tend to get things when they become necessary rather than systematically.

Peace and thanks to you...Ian

Comment

That's great. Yes, I know about the difficulty when you work with a lot of creative apps. I did not move to Leopard and a Mac Pro a year ago last October because what it was ultimately going cost me to upgrade all of my software. Now I'm glad I didn't because of the situation with the economy. Check your private messages.
                        Last edited by Zwick; 12-20-2008, 08:59 PM.
                        sigpic
                        Person in charge

Comment

'Compressor cannot connect to background process'

Hi, Just searched this forum and found the thread that is exactly my nightmare. But the suggestions haven't worked for me. I've trashed my Qmasters and my Compressor and preferences, re-installed from The FCP Studio 5 disc and downloaded software updates as per suggestion. Then I ran Repairer and it says 'libhelium_mac.a does not exist' and advises a re-install. I re-installed again. Same message, no joy in Compressor... Any more thoughts? I use a MacBook Pro with FCP Studio 5.1.4 and OSX 10.5.6. Thanks very much.

Comment

libhelium_mac

That's the name of your computer?

What is the full version number of Compressor you're using?

Get this app and run it, just to verify what you're saying: http://www.digitalrebellion.com/compressor_repair.htm

Tell it to also trash Compressor prefs.
                            sigpic
                            Person in charge

Comment

No Joy

Hi Zwick,
                              Thanks for answering.
                              This is what Compressor Repair tells me:

Processing complete. Errors were found...
                              libhelium_mac.a does not exist. You are advised to reinstall...

I did. No Joy.

I have version 2.3 of both Comp and QM.

From what I've gathered, it's a Qmaster problem, not a Compressor problem.

My computer name? KR Barnes's MacBook Pro ... Why?

K

Comment

Footer

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X