No announcement yet.

Compressor "can't connect to background process"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, I see now, it's looking for libhelium_mac.a located at /usr/local/lib.

Reinstalling Compressor isn't going to help you unless you completely deinstall first.

Check this out: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1888?viewlocale=en_US
    sigpic
    Eric Peterson (AKA, "Zwick")
    Person in charge
    Content creation/Education
    http://www.ericnp.net

Comment

A bubble of optimism...

Ok, will follow that rather long list from the link you sent. Funny it didn't come up when I searched before... Perhaps because it doesn't reference my search terms 'cannot connect to background process'. One thing I noticed is qmasterd and qmasterqd were duplicated in the /sbin. Two of them had (from old Mac) written beside them. So somehow they made the migration when I transferred from my desktop to laptop. This could be the issue but I can't restart just now until another job is finished, so stay tuned. I also cannot find any qmaster folder in the /var folder. This is worrying... but perhaps a version 3 thing?
      Will let you and everyone else know later. (I'm in China at the moment so time diff is a factor) Thanks so far!!!
      K

Comment

Still No Joy

Hi, Did all you recommended and everything on the website, but still get exactly the same message when I run Compressor repair: "libhelium_mac.a does not exist". However, I don't know where this file comes from or how to get it. Any ideas? Thanks.

Comment

Hi Savage,

When I went through this is took me a long time to figure it out and I went to several sites to do it and just when I thought I was beat, I managed to fix it. Unfortunately, I don't remember exactly what fixed it and I didn't save all the info, but I did find this. I hope it helps. I feel the frustration that you are going through. When it comes to compressor, there are times that I felt like I was on a PC!...Ian

Try this

http://www.digitalrebellion.com/compressor_repair.htm

Comment

Originally posted by taomation View Post
            We already tried that.

The libhelium_mac.a file is part of the Compressor install. Compressor 2.3 is not supported under Leopard, you need to run software update. You should be on 2.3.1. Sorry but for me this is obvious and either you weren't running under Leopard before or you weren't using Compressor, correct? Most of these support docs from Apple get updated, they assume you are too and sometimes it's real hard to go back to a previous version and recall all that was going on. Let me know what you see after running Software Update.
            Last edited by Zwick; 05-26-2009, 12:14 AM.
            sigpic
            Eric Peterson (AKA, "Zwick")
            Person in charge
            Content creation/Education
            http://www.ericnp.net

Comment

Other Options?

Hi again. Thanks for the advice. When I run Software Update (at least 4 times already), it just gives me 2.3 There appears not to be 2.3.1 from the pulldown, though I'll check Apple's website and see if it's there. Yes, I run Leopard and always have on this Laptop. I run tiger on a desktop which is not with me now (in China). I always used my desktop for editing before, so never had the need to use Compressor on the Laptop til now.

OK, assuming I cannot get it working, what's the next best way to compress a very large 77 minute (DV Pal) documentary into DVD size in the shortest time? I used Quicktime (not Quicktime conversion) and the file size is still too big to put on one single layer DVD. Neither iDVD nor DVDSP helped. Finally I used MPEG Streamclip and made an MPEG-4 which I burnt on Toast but quality isn't great.

Thanks,

Ken

Comment

Compressor 2.3.1

Maybe Compressor 2.3.1 is only available if I upgrade the OS beforehand... Hmmm... that could make sense. The reason I haven't done this is that it's over 250MB and my connection in China is very slow. But maybe I'll have to let it churn overnight.

Comment

It's Working!!!

Okay, I noticed that after doing the first upgrade from 2 to 2.3, another upgrade, 2.3.1 became available. (why they didn't just allow 2 to 2.3.1 in the first place is a mystery) Now it is working, for now...

Thanks for all advice. Maybe others can learn from this. I think my problem may have been complicated by the migration remnants from my Tiger machine of qmasterd files as I wrote earlier. Then, the double upgrade....

I've been thinking of Upgrading my FCP HD 5.1 (not Studio 1 as I think I wrote before) to FCP Studio 2 (rumours of 3 abound...). Then I've heard that Compressor nightmares start all over again. Any truth to that?

Many cheers from cheerless China.

K

Comment

Footer

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X