Please help [LOOK]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help [LOOK]

Ok I will try to explain my issue I am having as best as I can.

I've been trying to convert my video files from FCP to MPEG-2 format, I'm using compressor to convert into MPEG-2. I'm a film student at IADT in Tampa, FL. I been editing on Mac Pro's using the conversion with compressor. I never had a problem, I thought it was because I didn't have Quicktime PRO, considering I was at the Mac store today working on some motion with my one to one advisor and he said I need Quicktime PRO to play back MPEG-2 files. Well long story short, I don't need Quicktime PRO to do that. I'm not really sure what use I'll ever use QTP for.

After finding out that QTP wasn't my answer to my question, I went back looking for what could be the problem. I then came across the Quicktime MPEG-2 playback which will work for Quciktime or Quicktime PRO.

This is where I make some lead way, the video finally renders when I used MPEG Steamclip! I guess the MPEG-2 playback actually worked. How ever the sound doesn't work & it'll only let me save my file in .mov aka Quicktime which the quality of video is garbage. I didn't render it out from FC into compressor going to MPEG-2 if I wanted to convert it into .mov

I need help guys...

Here is my question, how can I render my video out of FC into MPEG-2 and be able to watch it in awesome quality & have sound.

Heres some pictures to see what I was doing wrong.

1st, you have QT Pro, it is a necessary component of FCP and comes with FCP's install.

For PLAYBACK of MPEG-2 within the QT Player you need to have the MPEG-2 Playback component. This is only needed if you want to view MPEG-2 content it has nothing to do with being able to create MPEG-2 content. So if your "advisor" was referring to the QT Player, he is correct. MPEG Streamclip also uses the Apple MPEG-2 Playback component.

Rendering is not the correct word. You are encoding, or transcoding.

You got only video because for DVD you need to export out both an MPEG-2 video file and either an AIFF or an AC2 (Dolby Digjtal) audio file.

Your screen shot is confusing because that I see in the 2nd image is you in MPEG Streamclip with a 2-pass .m2v (MPEG-2 video file) loaded and from the pull down going to export that to QT. You said you want to make a m2v, well you already have it. The top image is meaningless in this discussion. You certainly don't want to export a Motion JPEG QT file (that is the default in MPEG Streamclip and has nothing to do with what you're trying to accomplish.

I'm assuming all of this is leading up to an MPEG-2 export and an AC3 (recommended) audio export so you may author a DVD? Is that correct? That's what these files are generally used for.

What you really need to do is read the Compressor 3 manual, Creating MPEG-2 Output Files, chapter 15, also read up on Dolby Digital and AIFF audio there. Read, Exporting Sequences for DVD, chapter 19 in the FCP User Manual, pages 267-273. In a nutshell, from FCP, with your Sequence loaded go to File> Export> Using Compressor and in Compressor look at your options in the DVD folder, finding the most appropriate setting for your DVD.

If it is not a DVD you are trying to create you need to explain exactly what you are trying to accomplish here. I think you may be confused on what you need to do for what you want to deliver. If you simply want a QT to see the work you did in FCP, export out File > QuickTime Movie > Self-contained, current settings.
    Last edited by Zwick; 05-02-2009, 10:32 PM.
    sigpic
    Eric Peterson (AKA, "Zwick")
    Person in charge
    Content creation/Education
    http://www.ericnp.net

Comment

I want to also be able to view the file, I cant seem to view the file either.

I'm using it for both DVD in DVD Pro and for the best quality to be posted on the web, I'm shooting on a XL2.
      Last edited by JT Productions LLC; 05-02-2009, 11:18 PM.

Comment

I think you are transcoding twice for no reason. The file on your desktop shows no association, that's why it looks like a blank page. I can only make assumptions on why that is happening but we see your title frame in MPEG Streamclip and I have no real idea of what you are doing there.

You really need to go through the manual on this. 1st try exporting from FCP via QT, current settings self contained, so you might get a better handle on what you're doing. Take MPEG Streamclip out of the mix, you're just adding to your confusion.

For the web you are going to go through Compressor and export one of the QT 6 or QT 7 settings under Web > Download (probably.) That's a whole different process.

Read the chapters I mentioned and if you still have issues then we can discuss but you have to get past the basics first and that means stepping through with the manuals.
        sigpic
        Person in charge

Comment

May you post the article so I can look it over. I no longer have the FC files of the music video we worked on.

At any rate could you give me a quick run down on how to save files for the internet that will come out good quality. Thanks!

Comment

If you are not going to author DVDs, then do not fool with MPEG-2. It's highly compressed, and takes a ton of CPU power to play back.

For Internet you want H.264. Check this out:
            http://slfcpug.ning.com/video/1975320:Video:4903

Playing back MPEG-2 clips, again, is very CPU intensive, and may not play back properly. Leave it alone totally except for authoring DVDs.
            Digital Media Instructor for
            Louisiana State University & Delgado College

Comment

Ben I tried out the way you had in the video, tell me how this looks..

http://vimeo.com/4462817

I still think the quality is jacked up, is it the quality that I'm importing in to my computer thats making it look like crap or what. I'm shooting on a XL1.

Comment

Vimeo is recompressing to Flash and it is at 15 FPS. Did you upload at 15FPS? What were the exact specs of what you uploaded? Data rate, frame size, FPS?

I'm seeing 1946.95 kbits/s and 450 x 300 pixels, that's an odd size considering you're coming from MiniDV, 720 x 480.
                sigpic
                Person in charge

Comment

Originally posted by Zwick View Post
                  Vimeo is recompressing to Flash and it is at 15 FPS. Did you upload at 15FPS? What were the exact specs of what you uploaded? Data rate, frame size, FPS?

I'm seeing 1946.95 kbits/s and 450 x 300 pixels, that's an odd size considering you're coming from MiniDV, 720 x 480.
                  I used this guide to do it, I did 15FPS.

http://slfcpug.ning.com/video/1975320:Video:4903
                  Last edited by JT Productions LLC; 05-04-2009, 10:20 AM.

Comment

Again, I recommend you delve into the FCS manuals and that you get the basics understood. I understand the desire to shortcut but in the long run a foundation which gives you an understanding of what to do and why is most important.

There is a certain art to compression and the art aspect comes down to understanding precisely what is going on in the compression process so one can properly optimize a given video for the type of content and the type of delivery.

There is a certain amount of trial and error, certainly at the beginning but I recommend practicing shorts transcodes and writing down each one while observing what changes.
                    sigpic
                    Person in charge

Comment

What handbook, is it the one that came with FCP.

Comment

The User Manual. You have several, located in /FCS2 Documentation. You REALLY want to know where that stuff is but with any of the apps open... please tell me you've seen something like this...
                        sigpic
                        Person in charge

Comment

Originally posted by JT Productions LLC View Post
                          Ben I tried out the way you had in the video, tell me how this looks...
                          Looks fine to me. Remember, it's web video, which will be highly compressed, and not as good as going to DVD or download of the full rez original. But for video on the web, looks fine to me.
                          Digital Media Instructor for
                          Louisiana State University & Delgado College

Comment

Footer

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X