3.5 hrs to output 4.5 minute video?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3.5 hrs to output 4.5 minute video?

The title says it. Why on earth would this be? Allow me to dump as many stats as I can think of in hopes it will provide enough info for an educated response:

Hardware: iMac 2.8 GHz core i7

Camera: Panny HPX250

Footage: AVC Intra50, 720pN, transcoded/optimized to AppleProRes 422 upon import to FCPX.

Software: FCPX 10.0.9, Compressor 4.0.7

I outputted to same ProRes 422 codec as was the source footage. Footage resided on different drive than output destination. Everything had been rendered prior to output. So I can't imagine what else I could do to speed up the output. Am I wrong to be appalled at a 3.5 hour output time for such a puny video?

Output to what kind of drive, connected how? What kind of drive was the source video on and how was that connected?
    Last edited by Zwick; 08-12-2013, 01:12 PM.
    sigpic
    Eric Peterson (AKA, "Zwick")
    Person in charge
    Content creation/Education
    http://www.ericnp.net

Comment

Firewire 800 out of iMac to a daisy-chained FW 400. That is, footage resides on the daisy-chained FW 400 drive and the outputted file was being deposited on my onboard system hard drive.

Now before we say our "ah-hah"s let me also report that while this über-lengthy output was like-to-like, codec-wise, I also did a native FCPX down-and-dirty "share" output for Apple devices--which I would think would take forever with all that compression--and I had a .m4v file in like a minute and a half; all hardware configurations identical.

Comment

Take the source file to the internal SATA drive and output to the same and see what happens.
        FW 400 is a pretty dead data transfer at this point. There's a reason for not having a FW 400 port on your iMac. I'd seriously consider moving to Thunderbolt.
        sigpic
        Person in charge

Comment

I'll try that, tho isn't there some proscription against having your source files on your system drive?

I'd love to have Thunderbolt but doesn't that mean replacing the entire iMac?

Comment

If you want to troubleshoot your transcoding issue then I recommend taking another route. 4.5 minutes of 720p video being transcoded on your system drive isn't gonna break anything.
            I did a cursory search on 2.8 GHz, i7 via Google, I'm not really sure what iMac that is but what came up said 1 Thunderbolt port. If it's "mid-2010" then no Thunderbolt. I'd need a model number.
            sigpic
            Person in charge

Comment

It's a late 2009, 27-in. Model A1312 according to Mactracker.

Also: 16 GB RAM. ATI Radeon HD 4850 512 MB graphics.

Definitely no Thunderbolt.

I still don't understand how it output in a minute and a half when using the Share to Apple Devices route.

Comment

Footer

Collapse
              Working...
              X