Motion 4 audio issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motion 4 audio issue

Was given some shaky footage from a friend's iPhone and tried to stabilize it in FCPX. Bottom line, it was too shaky to stabilize without creating a very wavering effect. Okay, no big deal, I didn't think it was usable anyhow. Never the less, I decided to see what I could do in Motion 4 so I imported it there as a new saved project and added the stabilize behavior which took awhile as the whole clip was roughly 8,000 frames. That done, I went to export and here is my question ,simply as a learning tool for myself.
    When the export window opened up, I noticed that the default setting was 'Video Only'. The 'Audio Only' and 'Video and Audio' settings were both grayed out. I went into the advanced window where the audio was listed as it should be with the proper settings, and closed it and hit export. Sure enough, after export, only the video was there. Why was the 'Video Only' the only setting I could use. Why were the other two grayed out?

This is not an emergency situation, just want to learn from it.
    Steve
    Steve
    www.worldfilmsandtravel.com

This is not uncommon with compositing/VFX/CGI (3D) apps. This is also the default setting for AE. Generally in these types of applications you are exporting out in lossless (Animation) or simply "Lossless", TARGA w/ Alpha and RLE compression or near lossless, ProRes, TIFF Sequence with Alpha formats and there's no point to bogging things down with audio. Typically you're not exporting out for delivery, you're exporting out to reintegrate into an NLE, etc. The iPhone in HD video mode I believe is PCM audio, I think i'd have to try it to see what's going on. I'm about 1,000,000 miles away from this kind of stuff right now but that's that's the basics behind what you're experiencing.
    Last edited by Zwick; 08-14-2012, 10:23 AM.
    sigpic
    Eric Peterson (AKA, "Zwick")
    Person in charge
    Content creation/Education
    http://www.ericnp.net

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply. Will see if I can change the audio in Motion, which I really don't use much, but, as I said, its another opportunity to learn. If anyone else has suggestions, send them on.
      Steve
      Steve

Comment

What's the file off the iPhone, H.264 with AAC audio? Someone just sent me a SD video off an iPhone and I don't have this issue, nor do I have Video and Audio grayed out for a video from my iPad. In Motion 4 you used File > Import as Project... and are using Share > Export Movie? What happens if you try Share > Send to Compressor or Share > Apple Devices or maybe Share > YouTube? I'm thinking now that maybe your file is corrupt. What if you take the original file and export out a copy as ProRes and bring that into Motion, is Video and Audio still gray?

Also in Compressor, QuickTime 7 or perhaps MPEG Streamclip are you able to export out the audio from one of those apps? In that case You could just re-marry the audio in QuickTime 7, use ProRes out of Motion so you're not excessively stepping on the file with the additional export.
        Last edited by Zwick; 08-16-2012, 08:54 AM.
        sigpic
        Eric Peterson (AKA, "Zwick")
        Person in charge
        Content creation/Education
        http://www.ericnp.net

Comment

Thanks, will go through those checks.
          Steve
          Steve

Comment

Footer